Removing Head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing Head

I have a 1983 gs750e and I need to take the head off to check the valves underneath. It appears that something is going on in the valve train and I cant see anything from the top. The owners manual I have doesnt say to much about the timing so does anyone know how to set the timing mark before taking the head off? Also, it doesnt say anything about removing the cam chain. Does the master link come to the top when the timing is in the correct place to remove the head? Any help would be great! Thanks..

When you set 1 and 4 cyls to TDC on the right side of the cams there are 2 notches. These will be either pointing away from each other or towards each other depending on what part of the stroke the cylenders are on, exhaust, or compression.

Oh, and if the cam chain is original, there is no 'master link' it's continuous. To take the head off you take the cams out and the head can come off with the chain together.

Comment

Thanks! That would deffinately explain why the book I have doesnt say anything about the timing chain. Time to take it apart!! Thanks again...

Comment

SO I took the head off the bike, and checked all the valves and everything is okay. This ticking noise that I am hearing is quite loud and I really dont think that it is normal. IS there something in particular that I should be looking at in the head or should I just take the cylinders off and see if there is a loose wrist pin or something?? Any ideas from people with experience??

Comment

Before you go into all that, a ticking noise is often just an exhaust leak. Sounds just like valves, at least to me.

Comment

The 8 valve engines suffer from cam end float,don't know about the 16 valvers though.If it is cam end float don't worry about it,"they all do that,sir"

Comment

I think there have been some videos produced recently in Iraq on how to take the head off...

Comment

If it would be cam end float, how would I go about checking that?
                It sounds like it is coming from the right side of the engine if that helps anythihg, and sounds like it is higher up, in the valve train somewhere. Is it easy to see if it has the cam end float??

Comment

SOrry, I need to correct myself. I said it sounds like it is coming from the valve train, but it isnt cause I checked all the valves and they are all in excellent shape. It does sound like it is coming from higher up in the engine. IT would be nice if it would just be the cam end float, but how do I check for this?

Comment

I don't know the proper way to check, but this may help. Grab a long screw driver, and put the handle to your ear, then put the tip on different parts of the engine. You'll be able to pin point where the noise is coming from.

Comment

Saw the title of your post and my curiosity was peaked ... got a sick feeling in my stomach ... then realized that this is the only type of beheading I approve of! Good luck finding your elusive tick!

Steve 8)

Comment

Working...
                      X