Vibration on 1982 Gs 1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vibration on 1982 Gs 1100

Hello everyone, I am interested to buy a 1982 GS 1100, in good shape with 16 000 Miles on the bike, a friend of mine say's that these bikes vibrate more then any other bikes. Is there any truth for this? If so how trrible is the vibration. Can I get some info please.

Ard

Not true but they do vibrate. Owners call it a buzz but i call it vibrate. i have installed bar weights inside my bars and foam grips to stop the problem. i find ther bike very enjoyable now. And it is far from the worst vibrating. My buell vibrates much more. Sportsters are horrible and my 650 yammy is many times worse.

Comment

Not true but they do vibrate. Owners call it a buzz but i call it vibrate. i have installed bar weights inside my bars and foam grips to stop the problem. i find the bike very enjoyable now. And it is far from the worst vibrating. My buell vibrates much more. Sportsters are horrible and my 650 yammy is many times worse.

oh yeah, my kz1300 6 cylinder is about the same. No real trouble even when they are stock((the gs1100 I mean ))

Comment

How bad the buzz is kind of depends on your perspective and what your comparing it to. I don't think the 1100 any worse than others, (one of the most "buzzy" I have ridden was a Kawasaki Concours) For those who want a minimum of buzz, shake, rattle, etc.. I suppose the Lead Wing is the way to go...

Comment

vibrate

Thank you all for your input, the next thing is, the bike has 51k miles on the engine, the owner tell's me it is in exellant shape, should I worry about the high milage or nonsence.

Comment

Two items:

1. You don't specify whether the 1982 GS1100 in question is a chain-driven 16-valver or a shaftie 8-valver. Always specify which, as these bikes are different in purpose, design, and execution.

2. I can only speak for the shaftie, so this applies if this 1100 is a shaftie. I've spent the last 19 riding seasons on five GS shafties, including my fifth on my present GS1100GK. Your friend is full of sh!t. If the 1100 is running properly and is properly maintained, vibration is not an issue.

My GS1100GK now has almost 83,000 miles on the odometer, of which the last 58,000 are mine, in 5 riding seasons. It runs perfectly, and it should continue running perfectly for thousands more miles and many more years. 51,000 on a GS1100 shaftie is nothing, even if it's been (to a certain extent, of course) abused and/or neglected.

Nick

Comment

I think these bike are very smooth. I ride with stock grips and have no complaints.

If you're getting a buzz, my first thought is that something may be loose somewhere. It could also be a bad bearing. Does it make the sound only in a certain RPM range or at certain speeds? That can give you a clue as to what the problem is.

As for the longevity of the engine and other mechanicals, these bikes are capable of 100,000 miles if properly maintained and not abused. I have an 1100 engine with a bad rod bearing that has less than 29,000 miles. It didn't get very good care.

The bottom line... A buzz isn't normal and buyer beware.

Comment

vibration

I have not purchased the bike yet, it is 1982 GS1100EZ, I asked a friend about it, he told me that these bikes vibrate, that is how I wanted to ask the group to get the feed back, then I found out about the mialge, which is a concern to me, just to check with the group to get more feedback. Finaly it is chain driven not shaft.
                ard :roll: :roll:

Comment

Believe it or not, the most common cause of vibration outside of a normal range is carb adjustment.

A proper setting-up will cure many problems, as well as reduce vibration.

As to the distance....many, many, of these bikes have exceeded that number. Hap Call has ewll over 100,000 miles on his, and counting..
                  Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Thats what I was going to add. If the carbs on an 1100EZ are out of sync, the thing will register on the Ricter scale.

Comment

The 1100's will vibrate a bit more when compared to something more modern like a Fazer 1000 but it isn't terrible and yes a good carb synch helps. The mileage if well maintained is not a problem, I have close to 60k miles on my Katana 1100 and it runs VERY strong.
                      My suggestion: ride the thing before you buy it!

Comment

I have three Gs1100E (two Z's and a D) they all vibrated until I had them Dynatuned and rejetted. Now they are the smoothest fastest 22 year olds around. Buy it and live life well.

Comment

I also recommend you buy it, but ask if the seller will have the carbs synched before you seal the deal. Offer to split the difference with them providing that a synch solves the problem. I would rather pay $30 extra for a bike that runs smooth, than find out it was something else. If it is something else, take some time to think about it and the seller may come back to you with an even better deal! He may even offer you a better deal to not have to fool with the carb synch.

Comment

Working...
                          X