Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking at a 81 gs650g shaft drive- any recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking at a 81 gs650g shaft drive- any recommendations?

Hope I can get some info today on any problems/things i should look for and possible riders experience with an 81 suzuki gs650g bike. I currently own a gs450 which is kinda beat up.
    The sellers bike has always been in the family (two owners) ,garaged, and supposedly well taken care of with 10,000 milles. Am I asking for trouble with a suzuki shaft bike? Will it have better performance than my gs450 and what's a typical west coast price for one of these thingies? Thoughts, opinions?

Thanks!
    John

A very good bike. I have an 82. Good power and comfy ride. Suzi shafts are reliable, it's worth pulling back the boot and checking the joint bolts, though. If not already done, loctite them.

Comment

bike

A few Items check fork seals and tubes for nicks and pits, leaks? steering head bearings feel smooth and no play when on center stand,check tires and diff for leaks, cables smooth, all lites and access. work, how old is the battery?, engine leaks? is the oil site glass clean or varnished up?witch would give a quick indication as to oil changes, as well as service records?rear shock shafts rusted, or leaking oil? general condition of paint and chrome witch will tell you of it has been left out doors alot, rust in Tank? carbs need to be cleaned from sitting? does it smoke when running? does it run thru all the gears with no problems, has it had any mods done to the exhaust or intake? witch may be a problem if not done right,brake pads still good the fluid clean or like thick or jelly like? some of these items are no big deal some are but the ones that are not are bargaining chips on the Price, OH YEA if your in California is the reg current or is there a non-op on the bike ,penaltys are heavy in that state up $500

Comment

- Had 82 GS650G for 20 years - no problem with shaft drive. Changed gear lube every couple years, other than that, just forget the shaft is there. Think how often you have to fuss with your chain.
        - First bike was a KZ400, vertical twin like your GS450. Then I got the the GS650G, 4 cyclinder. First thing I noticed was the 4 cyclinder was much smoother. During break in period (limiting rpms) the 650 seemed to have about the same power of the 400, but then after that at higher rpm, oh, yeah! Lots more power/acceration, more than the 50% increase in CCs.
        - Now have 80 GS850G for 10 years now. Has 60 thousand miles now. No problem with shaft drive. Changed gear lube every couple years.

Shaft drives have a little bit more weight, but "works fine, last a long time", and "no muss, no fuss", and "you can just forget about it".

So dont let the shaft be a concern about getting that bike. Only problem may be that you will never want to have a chain drive bike again.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I have had mine a few years and haven't had any major mechanical problems, and it always starts. If it's been garaged your in the money 8)

Comment

Working...
          X