oil?...Bubbles??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil?...Bubbles??

Today after a 20 min. ride home from work I popped the behemoth up on the centre stand in anticipation of checking the oil when all had settled. Had a quick look at the sight glass prior to stepping inside, for the first time ever I noticed a thin layer of bubbles across the top of the oil in the sight glass :? . Is this anything to be concerned about?

Smell inside the crank case. Does it smell of gas? I would be concerned that maybe you leaked gas into the crank case.

Comment

yup, I got Gas

How does this happen and what do I do now?

Comment

Well I know some of the guys on here have had issues with the stock vacuum petcocks leaking. They usally put in a pingel to fix it but then you must remember to turn it off all the time. That scares me so I would suggest just getting a rebuild kit for it and rebuilding the petcock if that is in fact what is causing it.

There could be other things I guess and I really defer you to the guys on here who know what they are talking about.

But to test the petcock, take the fuel hose off and see if it is leaking fuel with the engine off. If so, thats your issue. There are guys on ebay that sell loads of them.

Hope that helps.

Comment

If you have gas in your oil, the problem is not only the fuel tap. You need to make sure your carb floats aren't sticking or the float needles need cleaning/replacement.
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

What he said

Now I should have known to say that too because that same thing happened on my 1000 when a paint flake got into one of the needle valves. I forgot about that.

Thx Jethro

Comment

thanks guys,

guess I know how I will be spending my weekend.

Comment

Why are you so sure that the problem isnt the fuel tap to start with. Pingle users would not have to turn the valves off when stopped if the floats were sure things as shut off valves.
                On sure sign of a defective fuel valve is that the # 2 cylinder runs rich and very often the bike misses when first started. all i am sayng is don't disregard any of the advice given here.

Comment

The carbs are your first point to check.

The only way gas can reach the crankcase is through the carbs, so there has to be a float issue that permits the movement of gas. The floats are there to stop the flow of gasoline, except when used by the engine, but if the float is faulty, dirty, or simply not set correctly, it will not seal completely, and allows some gas to flow through.
                  Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
                  X