Burning Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burning Oil

My old 1978 GS 1000 is Burning some oil, about a litre every 3000 Kilometres.
    Is this considered to be a bad thing?
    How much oil do your bikes burn?
    What is to be considered normal?

Roman.

Re: Burning Oil

Originally posted by Roman

Roman.

is this a joke or something?

my old gs650g (> 200 000 kms) needed only 2 litres per 1000 kms, how about that!

(...so I purchased a swap engine that was even more thirsty (1 liter per 400 kms... but that's an other story...)

Comment

Re: Burning Oil

Roman.
      I have a test in an old Dutch magazine from 1980 where they rode 50.000 km with a GS1000 from new, oil consumption at normal speeds was 0.4 ltr per 2400 km and 0.5 ltr per 1000 km at high speeds (160-210 km/h).
      So I guess your bikes oilconsumption is still OK.

P.S. How many miles has yours done?

Comment

Hi Roman,
        What brand of oil are you burning? I would swap to something else.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by srivett
          Hi Roman,
          What brand of oil are you burning? I would swap to something else.

Steve
          Are you kidding

Comment

Nope, I burned a litre of Canadian Tire motorcycle oil one weekend so I replaced it with Castrol car oil and the level hasn't changed since. That was a relief. You've never noticed that some brands of oil will boil off or burn at a faster rate than other brands?

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by srivett
              Nope, I burned a litre of Canadian Tire motorcycle oil one weekend so I replaced it with Castrol car oil and the level hasn't changed since.
              Are you sure you didn't put in two-stroke motorcycle oil?
              Kevin
              E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
              "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
              Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

The GS is an older air cooled design, so tolerances have to allow for hot running. The better quality oils, car or bike, are far better than even the best oil I used to use in the 80s (belray EXP). A good quality 20-50W should do the job normally, except in real cold areas. Expect consumption to go up in hot or hard running tho....

Comment

oil consup..

Hey, Roman I have a 1978 gs1000e, it has about 40740 miles on it and it used less than a 3/4 of a quart in approx. 800 miles I would assume that a minimal amount of consuption is normal ( I have old oil in mine) but I am thinking about switching to 20/50, 15/40, instead of the 10/40 it recomends......................................... ......................

Comment

This is a test

test message

Comment

I'll give this another try. I posted something else here yesterday. Not quite sure what happened to it.
                      Here it goes again.
                      My GS 1000 has aprox. 70,000 km. And I’m using Castrol 10W40 engineered for motorcycles. I’ll try switching brands and I’ll see what happens. From the information that all of you shared with me it seems that I'm OK.
                      What I find really strange is that my 75 Water Buffalo doesn’t seem to burn much more oil than these four strokers. OK, maybe a small exaggeration.

Thanks for your input.

Roman

Comment

Roman, I used to have a GT750K waterbottle as well..sigh!!!

Yes, they were good on the oil, smelt nice too..but perhaps an acquired taste....

Comment

My GS 1000 has aprox. 70,000 km. And I?m using Castrol 10W40 engineered for motorcycles. I?ll try switching brands and I?ll see what happens. From the information that all of you shared with me it seems that I'm OK.
                          Roman

Sounds like you are using their 4T oil. It's OK but a bit thin for an old motor. Change to 20/50. The extra viscosity will slow down your consumption rate in the old motor. Use any good brand, but stay away from labelled "Old Motor" oils if they are friction modified.

You can also try the additives that increase oil viscosity but they can slow down clutch action when viscosity reaches an optimum point.

Kim

Comment

It was actually my wife that suggested that I get a four stroke. Her taste never matured for the sent of CCI two-stroke oil. I’m happy she's so understanding. So I went shopping and picked up one of my other favourite bikes (1978 GS 1000). If my wife is happy, I'm happy.

Roman

Comment

Kim I'll give it a try.
                              I think I'll stay away from the additives though.

Roman

Comment

Working...
                              X