A Clutch Issue I Haven't Found an Answer for

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Clutch Issue I Haven't Found an Answer for

I searched and couldn't find a thread with the issue I am having. I will start out with a little info about the setup:
    450L with almost 10,000 on the OD
    Clutch cable is less then 6 months old

Sometimes the clutch really starts acting up as the bike warms up. Usually pretty smooth for the first 5 minutes of riding but then she sticks and won't engage easy. It will let out and partially engage (slip) but then I quicky pull it in and release it and it take hold. It is a real pain in the butt when you can't ease out on the clutch for a graceful start, but a very jerky one that has at times caused me to stall! So is it time for a new clutch or what? Adjustments on the cable don't seem to help at all!

See if there's slop in your clutch lever perch where the lever connects to. The copper ring inside wears out on one side causing irregular engagement. A friend of mine told me a beer can is 50 thou, perfect for cutting and taking up the slop. The hard part is getting in there without smashing it. It's worth a try though. Carter
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Check and make sure the clutch cable is not fraed and ready to break, otherwise you make have a broken clutch disk

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
        Check and make sure the clutch cable is not fraed and ready to break, otherwise you make have a broken clutch disk
        Cable is good, like I said, less then 6 months old! That is what I thought the problem was a while back and discovered it was pretty fraied so I changed it, but that didn't help. Then for some unknown reason the problem went away for most of the summer, but has just returned uglier then ever.

Yes my handle has a tiny bit of slop, but I would think it is negligible. Where exactly does the piece of cut beer can need to go, under the lever, over?? Picture would be great!

Is there anyway to check the clutch discs without opening the clutch cover?? I really don't have the monetary means to be replacing a clutch right now as I am paying for my college plus rent and all that good stuff on a medicore job.

Comment

It could also be a few mushed out clutch springs.

Comment

Couple of oil questions.....

When was the last change?

And what kind was used?
            Some of these new fangled oils sith all the slippery additives make clutches slip.
            Does it do it at a certain RPM? Like from a stop when launching?
            Or if you're riding and want to pass or go up hill, does it slip then?

Any unusual pieces in the oil when changed?
            Keith
            -------------------------------------------
            1980 GS1000S, blue and white
            2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

cable

Just a shot, but try rerouting the cable?

Comment

Clutch pushrod bent and sticking intermittently?

Comment

Oil was changed 2000 miles ago and today (it was due for it) last time I put synth blend 10w-40 in it, right after that it started a small leak (one drop maybe 2 after each shut down) so I went back to dino juice today. And there was nothing odd in the oil, filter a little clogged but I think that was only the 2nd filter ever on that bike. Th cable has no kinks and routing has not changed all summer.

Comment

The cut beer can fits around the bolt holding the lever to the perch. You kind of have to form it to fit around the bolt's smooth section and still be able to slide the bolt through the perch.

It might be better to just inspect the lever hole where the bolt passes through and determine if the slop there is significant enough to put the beer can shim in there.
                    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Working...
                    X