Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welcome to the 'Name that cluster' game...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome to the 'Name that cluster' game...

I have a cluster that I am trying to find out what year and model it's off.

On this page you will find two clusters, one is from a 1981 GS1100EX, but I am unsure what the other one is from.

Pictures Here

Thank you,

Rick 8)

Well it has lights for a 6 speed so I would think one of the smaller bikes, 400, 425, 450?? Just a guess though

Comment

That is an 81 750 cluster- maybe other sizes as well, but I know for sure that that is an 81 750E cluster.
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by WesV
        Well it has lights for a 6 speed so I would think one of the smaller bikes, 400, 425, 450?? Just a guess though
        Yes, I think the sixth gear indicates a smaller bike, probably a twin. I have an 81 450 and that picture is not its cluster. The pic has a fuel gauge and separate turn sig lights. My 450 has just one turn sig indicator and no fuel gauge. I'd say that the lettering and indicator shape indicate a later model, but I'm not sure.

Comment

I appriciate the input. This is the gauge I have on my GS1100EX and it hooks up and works, but the MPH is off. I assume the bike this is off (GS750E?) has different size tires and that's what causes the difference. It says 75MPH, but radar says 100MPH! 8O

I need to figure out a way to make it work or I need to replace it. I ordered one on eBay for my bike but I never got it. After two weeks and three excuses later I just told the guy to refund my money, which he did do. I won it for $26, he had no reserve. I just don't think he wanted to sell it that cheap and I think thats why I didn't get it as expected. He was more then happy to refund the money and keep the cluster.

What size tires do the 1981 GS750E have?

Rick 8)

Comment

Originally posted by MrRick
            I appriciate the input. This is the gauge I have on my GS1100EX and it hooks up and works, but the MPH is off. I assume the bike this is off (GS750E?) has different size tires and that's what causes the difference. It says 75MPH, but radar says 100MPH! 8O

I need to figure out a way to make it work or I need to replace it. I ordered one on eBay for my bike but I never got it. After two weeks and three excuses later I just told the guy to refund my money, which he did do. I won it for $26, he had no reserve. I just don't think he wanted to sell it that cheap and I think thats why I didn't get it as expected. He was more then happy to refund the money and keep the cluster.

What size tires do the 1981 GS750E have?

Rick 8)
            Have you seen this thread?

Except for the issue of illumination for night-time riding, a pedalbike speedo is just as good or better than the built-in dials.

Comment

81 gs750 still had the 19" front

Comment

Are you guys sure that instrument cluster is not from a 550ES? I had a friend with a very similar cluster in the little bikini fairing on the ES. 550s have 6 speeds too.

Comment

Just because it has the 6th diget does not mean it was used

Comment

That is either from a 1980 or 1981 GS750E. The front tire was the same for both the 750 and the 1100. The rear tire for the 750 was an 18" while the 1100 had a 17" on back. As far as the sixth gear indicator they were never used.

Hap

Comment

:? don't know about it being a '750' guys. my speedo doesn't have 'm.p.h.' but the 'k.p.h.' goes up to 240 ! i would think it's of a smaller g.s....h.g...[.p.s. i have an 81 750e.]

Comment

Originally posted by bobo
                        :? don't know about it being a '750' guys. my speedo doesn't have 'm.p.h.' but the 'k.p.h.' goes up to 240 ! i would think it's of a smaller g.s....h.g...[.p.s. i have an 81 750e.]
                        I did have a'81 GS750E (still kicking myself for getting rid of it - traded it in for the 1100) and that is exactly like my cluster. All motorcycles (and cars) in the US were limited to an 85 MPH speedometer by government regulation back then. That in turn limited the KPM to about 140. That is definitely from a US model 1980 or 1981 GS750E.

The Canadian GS750E or 1100E was not limited by the same regulations. Some folks imported Canadian speedos or clusters and put them on their bikes.

Hap

Comment

you learn something new everytime you enter this site !!! thankyou hap.

Comment

i second the 81 GS750E. I have one and that is the cluster. Mine has the 6th gear indicator too, but it's a 5 speed bike.

Comment

Working...
                            X