Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs1000gt; whats the?

Ok smart guys,
    On a 1980 1000gt what does the "gt" stand for?
    What are this models special features?

There's one on epay that's kinda close and kinda cheap (starting bid)
    but due to some bad pics I just can't see many details.

thank guys
    Rico

Smart guy's response ... 8O

The G denotes shaft drive, and the T in the designation denotes the year of manufacture - 1980. 8)

Give us the ebay number and we'll tell you all you need to know

Comment

Thanks Mark,
      Try this and and tell me all "great swammy"

Item number: 2490842785

Rico

Comment

she looks to be in good shape - 15,000 miles is a good thing, although that's about the right mileage for the stator/rectifier combo to quit working 8O

The statement concerning the resale is totally false - $2,000 dollars would get a primo early model gs1100e - I wouldn't pay more than a buck a cc (around $1000), and only then if it were in tip top condition.

There are just too many shafties out there that can be had for less money. If I were you, I'd send the guy an email and ask him to specific about the "tune-up" it needs ... then just watch the auction - you never know you might pick it up cheap 8)

Comment

I think GT stands for
          Grandpa Touring.

Mo

Comment

Also need to ask him why the head gasket has been replaced - seems a bit early in the bike's life to have done that.

Comment

Originally posted by Mobetter
              I think GT stands for
              Grandpa Touring.

Mo
              Just let me get out of this rocking chair and get my cane!! I'll show you a thing or two ....... :twisted:

Comment

Thanks for the once over Mark.
                I'm with you on the price, $600 maybe what I'm looking to spend.

I got my 78 1000e for $1500 and it has polished cases and covers,
                drilled roters, 530 conversion with a full Vetta windjammer.

I'm a good wrench and I'm cheap.

thanks again and if there's anymore about this moto, clue me in.

Rico

Comment

Rico - your quite welcome ... 8)

Comment

GT = gran tourismo, Italian for a fast touring vehicle. The Pontiac GTO was for Gran Turismo Omologato or created for fast touring. It did not stand for Gas, Tires, and Oil...

Comment

In the context of this particular bike, the "GT" suffix has nothing to do with Gran Turismo or any such nonsense. Shaftzuki is absolutely correct; the G is for shaft drive, and the T is for 1980.

Before I bought my GK five years ago, I rode a GS850GT, a shaft-driven, 850 cc, 1980 model GS bike.

Nick

Comment

Working...
                      X