"Rattlling ball heard when I shut off engine" suzu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Rattlling ball heard when I shut off engine" suzu

81 Suzuki gs450 with 22,000 miles. There are two symptons I can recall. The engine vibrates alot near 4000 rpm in any gear 1-6 any speed, and especially recently I hear something similar to a ball rattling around for a second after i shut off the engine. Any ideas on what might be loose/shot in the engine? Is it on the verge of failure?
    8O

Loose camchain?Mebbe check your tensioner to see if it's jammed?

Comment

My guess is that your starter clutch is making the noise, ever have any noises when you hit the starter?

Comment

If this isn't a new sound I wouldn't worry about it, even brand new jap bikes do that.

Cheers, Steve

Comment

Thanks for the ideas. It almost sounds as if it's coming from the stator? area. hmmm maybe I should open it up and see whats going on. I've heard that the stators have issues on suzukis...true?

Comment

Right behind the stator is the starter clutch. The stator itself is just a bunch of wire, a magnet surrounds the stator, so there isn't anything to make noise there. It's possible you have something loose under the cover though. Be sure to get a cover gasket before you take the cover off, because there is oil under it, and you will destroy the gasket when you take the cover off.

Comment

thanks Luke. I'll check the starter clutch. Is it ok to use gasket maker instead of a real suzuki gasket? If so, whats a good gasket maker to use?

Comment

I would suggest a real gasket, with some hylomar. You may get away with using some of the gray gasket maker, but I would be concerned about excess getting into the oil.

Comment

anyone have a good site/shop to mailorder suzuki parts from like gaskets/bolts/ etc.?

Comment

Comment

Working...
                    X