Battery Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery Question

I have a problem that I confess is confusing me. My battery is usually holding a charge for a couple of weeks only (indicating probable reg/rect. under charging failure) but at the same time the electrolite is continuosly overflowing. I thought that the electrolite would indicate over charging. Can anyone enlighten me on this please? The battery is a cheap one and the bike is usually used for a 7 mile journey each way each day. I know I should run her longer but work commitments dictate otherwise.
    Thanks very much in advance,

Not an expert in any way,but I think you're overcharging (hence the boiling over) and it's goosed the battery(hence the inability to hold a charge).Get yerself a Superdream reg/rec pronto,before you get another battery or you'll goose that too.If you've already got a Superdream reg/rec it's yer alternator.

Comment

Cheers Dougie, Superdream reg/rect it is then. BTW, I do very much like your city. I was often there when I was in Rosyth for a couple of years. I Have heard that Rose Street has changed quite a bit though, shame.

Comment

I agree that your system is overcharging., but now that you have to do something, do ma bit more and check it all.

Get yourself a multimeter (VOM/volt-ohmmeter) and run a check on everything.

That means giving the battery a s..l..o..w charge, checking the voltage after the charger is removed, letting it sit for a minimum of an hour, then checking it again, and a third time after about four hours.

The battery should still show at least 12.6 volts after 4 hours. If not, you need a new one.

Start the bike and check voltage at the battery at idle and again at higher RPM. It sounds like you are getting more than the max of 14.5 volts input to your battery, (which is causing the boil-over,) so the stator is probably OK, but check it anyway.
        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
        X