Muffler help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muffler help

A few weeks ago, I got my first bike: a 1980 GS1100E. It's a nice bike that I enjoy riding (have around 450 miles on her so far).

One issue that I knew about when I bought the bike was a crack in the muffler. The exhaust is an aftermarket 4 into 1 system (based on the muffler logo, RC Engineering). Inspection on the bike is due at the end of the month, so it's time to fix this issue.

The inlet on the 4-into-1 header is 2.5" OD. Currently there is a 3" sleeve that connects the header to the muffler.

What are my options to repair or replace the muffler?

Can I purchase just a muffler and have it installed? Or, do I need to get a full kit (headers and muffler)?

Here are some pictures of the exhaust:

Thanks,
    - Tony
    [/url]

Is it actually rusted to the point that it weakened the metal? If not you may be able to get it welded. Other then that, you'll need to get a whole new system as you're not going to find a slip on for a megaphone exhaust. If you're only worried about passing inspection you may be able to jb weld it, but it won't look pretty, and I'm not sure if it would last.

Of course theres always duct tape...

Comment

My sugestion would be to buy a muffler from a late model sportbike and have an adapter pipe made up cHECK eBAY

Comment

Originally posted by lhanscom
        Is it actually rusted to the point that it weakened the metal? If not you may be able to get it welded. Other then that, you'll need to get a whole new system as you're not going to find a slip on for a megaphone exhaust. If you're only worried about passing inspection you may be able to jb weld it, but it won't look pretty, and I'm not sure if it would last.
        In most places, the metal is not really weakened, just cracked. In some places, though, I am not sure there is enough remaining support just to throw on some JB.

I was thinking about getting two these:

Explore JC Whitney for premium auto parts & accessories, dive into car culture, & stay updated with the latest automotive events & tech trends

and modifying them to act as "patches" to go over the cracked areas. Not sure if I would weld them or use JB weld. I've only welded a few times and try to limit myself to things that (a) can be repaired with more weld and (b) don't have to look good. I'm thinking it might be best to use JB to attach them (to make sure the pipe is "sealed") and then put a few tacks welds on to make sure they don't go anywhere.

My main concern at this point is to get through inspection. There are a few "winter projects" for this bike and I could just add this to the list.

Comment

If it were up to me, and assuming the metal is sound, I'd run a couple of beads to repair the cracks with a wire-feed welder. Removing the exhaust would make this a lot easier. This project would fit category "(b) don't have to look good."

If your welds are really rough, you can dress them up with an angle grinder. If your welds still look tacky, cover them with the J.C Whitney covers, or check a motorcycle salvage yard for exhaust seam covers from another bike. I'm not a good welder either, but I'd still tackle this job. For the inspection, some chrome rattle can paint may suffice.

While you're at it, see if the mounts are secure and don't tweak the pipe to cause stress. This alternative would extend the life of your exhaust and save you money to boot.

Comment

Took a closer look at the situation over the weekend.

It appears that the muffler was forced up at one point in time and the metal was deformed around the rear mount. This is where the cracks now begin.

If I pull up on the muffler, it deflects; not substantially, but enough that I don't trust the metal around the mount.

Now, I may still try and fix it myself or bring it to a muffler shop and get a quote, but, in case those fall through, what would be a good exhaust system for an '80 GS1100?

It's a 4 into 1 system now. If I get a new exhaust, I'd be interested in a 4 into 2. Additionally, I like how my current bike is fairly quiet, so I'd be looking for another set of quiet pipes. Of course, cost is a consideration... =)

Thanks,
            - Tony

Comment

If you're going back to a 4 into 2 system, check the parts section of to motocycle category under eBay Motors for a used factory exhaust. Do a searches on GS1100E, GS 1100E, GS 1100, etc. I've found a lot of parts for my 850 listed there consistently. You can save your searches and even have them run automatically.

Comment

I tried looking there, but didn't see any gs 1100 exhausts (either active or completed).

Given the timing, I have two or three weeks max to get the exhaust situation resolved. I can make the appointment for mid-October which should prevent me from getting a $100+ fine if an officer wants to make an issue of it (if I have a verifiable appointment, they'll usually not ticket you).

This might mean that eBay is probably out, unless something comes up real soon.

Comment

In that case, why not weld up the cracks and reinforce the mount, which should get you by until you can find a replacement system?

Comment

After taking a more in-depth look at all the pipes in the exhaust and consulting with the resident welder, I think I am just going to buy a new exhaust.

Based on bikebandit.com, it looks like I have three choices:

Mac 4-into-2, $307
                    Mac 4-into-1, $288
                    Vance & Hines 4-into-1, $269

Are there any other ones I should consider? There seem to be differing opinions about these options on this board.

I'd like to maintain the performance I am seeing now with my RC Engineering 4-into-1 without getting any louder (hopefully, it should get quieter since there wont be holes in the muffler). Additionally, I'd also like to get closer to the stock 4 into 2 - but will that mean I have to futz with the carbs, too?

Thanks,
                    - Tony

Comment

maybe hindle has something for you as well? depends on how noisy you want to be (and how deaf you'd like to be after a long ride!!!)

Comment

I probably should have stated that I do not find my current exhaust noisy, but, if I could find be quieter with the new exhaust, I would be happy. IE - I'm looking to be quiet, not loud.

- Tony

Comment

Working...
                        X