Boiling carbs ? :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boiling carbs ? :)

I remember back in the day when I was little, I found in a book that you could boil vinegar and put pennies in it, and they would come amazingly clean. I'm wondering if anyone has tried this with actual motorcycle parts, esp, carbs. It seems all the small passages, all the jets, and the carb its self, would benefit greatly from a good boiling clean. Im not sure what type of chemical to use? Im guessing vinegar, but there are many others.

Anyone try this? I know shops do it.

Thanks

Simplegreen and a crockpot.

Bring thr green up to temp soak for as long as you want (at least over night) and rinse.

Tecnique works well on chicken too. OR is that "It tastes like chicken" :roll:

Rico

Comment

I'm not sure if vinegar would work against varnish and other goop left behind by gasoline. Usually a penny is tarnished by the surface oxidizing, and the vinegar attacks the oxide.

Maybe this will work better:

(Just kidding.)

Dave

Comment

How about brake cleaner boiling over an open flame? :twisted:

I'M JUST KIDDING ... DON'T TRY THIS!!!!!!!!!!!

Incidentally, don't soak anything in toxic chemicals unless they're outside ... the fumes will get you good! ... and remember that using anything that will break down those petroleum deposits may also do a number on any plastic or rubber parts/seals that are attached.

Steve 8)

Comment

As an avid R/C pilot I can tell you that the worst cleanup out there is the Alcohol/Nitro/Castor Oil cleanup on an engine.

Best kept secret I guess in this area is the Antifreeze soak.

If you follow these directions be sure to NEVER use the Crock Pot again for cooking food.

Strip your carb of all rubber pieces first.
          Fill the Crock Pot 3/4 full with plain old Antifreeze.....Ethylene Glycol
          and heat on 3/4 to full.
          Drop your carbs in for 18-24 hours.
          Shut the Crock Pot down and let it cool a bit.
          Don your rubber gloves and take the carbs to a water bath with a tooth brush for any bad deposits.
          Lastly, use some WD40 or Marvel Mystery Oil to LIGHTLY coat the surfaces
          inside to hold off corrosion.
          Once you are ready to reassemble the carbs use carb cleaner to clean off the oils.

With R/C engines this would clean off the WORST caked on gunk you could find!!

8) Hope that helps!!!!

Comment

Speaking of R/C

I wonder if nitro cleaner would clean bike parts? It's never hurt the rubber and plastic parts on the R/C cars. HHMMM May try it, I have a few cans of cleaner and some spare bike parts laying around the shop.

Okay back to the thread, I never knew Antifreeze would clean things, Great Tip!

I think I'm going to start dipping parts in various substances to see if I can formulate any bright ideas. I bet peanut butter on a chain would be awesome!

Comment

Working...
            X