Electrical issues - probing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical issues - probing

As some of you may have read, my bike has contracted an electrical gremlin that is causing to not want to start. I had a little free time this morning, so I decided to grab my multimeter and go probing. First, I checked the battery with the ignition off and got 12.3v and then with the ignition on I got 10.4v. Both of these numbers seem pretty low; what do you think the problem could be? Also, seeing as I may have a bad R/R, is there any way that I can probe it? Third, since I keep blowing bulbs, how can I probe my head light wiring? And last, but not least, is there anywhere else I should be probing?

I apologize for playing "21 questions" but I want to get this thing running at least good enough that I can get it to where I am moving so that I put it into winter storage. Thank y'all for all your help!

12.3 is low and the drop to 10.4 just with the key turned on sounds like you may have a bad battery.
    it is posible that the battery may be the cause for the blown bulb, these bikes need a good battery to charge correctly, a short in the battery could cause voltage spikes.

Comment

Leon has a good point. There will always be a voltage drop when you turn on the ignition, but it shoud not be that much. Why not try a couple of simple things?

For charging system checks, you need a freshly-charged battery.

Disconnect and remove the battery and give it a slow charge, 1 to 2 amps per hour for about 8 hours, or overnight.

Check the voltage, record it, let it sit for a while, then check again. The battery should maintain about 12.6 volts after four hours or more from disconnection.

For the non-start....if the R/R is fried, the bike usually will have no electrical system at all, but if you pull the plug from the R/R, the bike should then have power to the ignition, and it can start.
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

"if r/r is fried your bike will have no electrical system at all."
        I stopped at my brother in laws tonight and left the bike Idleing outside well I was in there longer than I thought. Maybe 15 or 20 minutes. When I got on the bike and took off it ran fine for about 5 minutes then I lost a cylinder, then another and another and finally it died altogether. I looked down and I had no power to the electrical system. No turn signals no lights on the instruments no headlight, and no power to the starter button. Called a friend and pretended it was a Harley and put it in the back of a pick up and hauled it home. So about a half an hour after it died I turned the key on and had a real weak headlight and instrument lights, but not enough to even make the starter click. I pulled the battery out and have it on a trickle charger, it was almost completely drained. Any Ideas on the cause of this problem??? GS750T

Comment

The battery is brand new (1.5mos) but I am going to take back to where I got it and have them look at it. I pulled the plugs off of the R/R while I was probing but it still would not start.

Comment

charge

Did you say you let it idle for 15-20 mins.? I hope it was real cold out side!!

Comment

Re: charge

Originally posted by Gee-s-is
              Did you say you let it idle for 15-20 mins.? I hope it was real cold out side!!
              OUCH that idle business was a harley move.
              an idle, in my opinion is ok for warm ups but in my book its a never do with these air cooled motors.
              Your engine wont stay cool if you try to look cool

Comment

Sounds like a bad cell in your battery that is shorting in between the plates when you apply a load. A 12V battery should put out around 12.6 volts, divide that by 6 cells and you have 2.1 volts per cell. Subtract the dead or shorted cell from the 12.6 volts and voila! 10.5 volts. Take it back.
                '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Today, I took my battery back to where I bought it and had it tested. Turns out it was defective, so they replaced it under warranty. After a good charge tonight, I am going to see if it solves the problem.

Comment

Well I put the new battery in and she started right up. I've got a new problem, now. On my test ride, after I got about to the 100 mi mark, my R/R decided to blow up. After blowing the main fuse a couple times, I decided to unplug it and she fired right up. I had cut my ride short and make the 50mi trip back home in the rain w/ nothing but main power and ignition. Very *interesting* experience for a newbie. At least I made it home safely, though. I had already ordered my Electrex R/R the other day since I thought that was original problem (could've been) so I can't wait for it to get here so I can do some more riding.

Comment

Working...
                    X