Starter hesitation????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter hesitation????

I recently tried to start my bike and nothing happened when I pushed the button except for a "thud" at the starter.....I tried again and again and, finally, it started right up but....I discovered that, in the process, I had blown the fuse that runs the headlight.....

I changed the fuse (after 3 weeks of traveling around Europe and nothern Africa) and all seems to be well. I'm at a loss as to why the problem occurred except that, maybe, the starter engaging gear was jammed.....

What do you guys think happened and why did it blow out my headlight fuse??

Thanks!!!!!!!
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

My guess would be a bad ground connection. I've seen this in automotive wiring harnesses, the current will try to take the path of least resistance. Turn on the heater for example and the dome light would glow...

Comment

Thanks

Thanks, Bill. I don't know if that could be it because I have a separate ground wire that I ran from the battery to the R/R. Would that be a separate issue and not have anything to do with the starter ground??

Comment

The important ground for the starter is the one that goes from the battery to the engine block, under the carbs...could also be time for a starter rebuild...don't forget to lube the bearings in the starter, they do get dry. Here's a link for the starter rebuild parts...

Comment

I had a similiar problem with my bike. I took out the starter and tore it apart, cleaned it up and reassembled the starter. Works just fine now.

Comment

If there is a problem with the ground from the engine block to the battery, the current (when you try to start) will try to find another way to go to the battery. This could have been through the headlight then through the ground from the r/r to the battery.... Of course, it could just be coincidence that the headlight fuse blew.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks, very much, guys. I think my ground should be OK because the connections look great and I see no corrosion. I'm going to check it out and clean it up and see what happens. I had this problem one time before but it's probably been at least a year or 2. :?

I appreciate your information. I've had wonderful luck with this bike and don't want to see things start going wrong!! :roll:

Comment

Working...
              X