Cam Timing Question / Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam Timing Question / Problem

I've been having some difficulty getting my cams degreed on my 82 1100E. I've dialed them to 106 degrees which has helped bottom end and mid range but on the highway (80 mph +) the power is patchy. One thing that baffles me is the duration that I'm measuring. Reading off of the top of the valve spring, I'm getting 286 degrees at 0.05" on the intake and 270 degrees on the exhaust. Also, it looks like I've got the same markings on my cams that were on these mystery camshafts in this post from Sept '03:

Based on the symptoms I'm getting should I go above 106 or below and by how much??

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

Difficult question this one...

Comment

I would suggest 108 centres, if you feel the bike has lost too much topend.
      Dink

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I have the adjustable sprockets installed so I think that I'll just keep on retarding it a few degrees at a time and see how it goes. Does anyone know if changing the cam timing might cause it to run lean at highway speed?

One other question if I may - anyone know what the duration is on the stock cams?

Thanks,

Jeff

Comment

Can't say much here do to I've never checked mine. But I did order a degree kit from Schnitz racing and it should be here tomorrow.

Then I should be able to give you my 2 cents worth.

As for running lean cam timming shouldn't be a factor.
          1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
          1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
          1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
          1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
          01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

I don't remember where I got the imfo. but I always ran the intake apprx 5 degrees lower than the exaust. The reason was something to do with the valve overlap. 106 on ex. & 101 on int. sounds close. I think I finally setteled on 102 ex. & 97 int. Others may like higher settings, but I really love torque.

Comment

Working...
            X