rpm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rpm

Hello everyone, my friend got a 1980 GS1000. the RPM on this bike does not go higher then 4000 rpm, it starts fine idles fine (That is what he say's). Can someone respond with typical GSer logic? that so far resolved all my problems.

ard

not a whole lot of info there....the big question....does it have the air box and filter installed?

Comment

rpm

the air box is differnt then the original one,
      I have a 1983 GS750e does that airbox work on the 1980 1000?

Comment

Re: rpm

Originally posted by ard
        the air box is differnt then the original one,
        I have a 1983 GS750e does that airbox work on the 1980 1000?
        I dunno... it may. The intake airflow and jetting would be the obvious suspects to me though...for sure they don't like to not have the appropriate airbox and filter without the necessary jetting changes.

Comment

Re: rpm

Originally posted by ard
          Hello everyone, my friend got a 1980 GS1000. the RPM on this bike does not go higher then 4000 rpm, it starts fine idles fine (That is what he say's). Can someone respond with typical GSer logic? that so far resolved all my problems.

ard
          are you saying that when the bike is in neutral that it can not be reved over 4k
          Try applying the enrichner when doing the rpm test.

Comment

rpm

like I mentioned before, this bike is not mine, it belongs to a friend, I tought I could help him with my connection to the GS group, I will find out more about the bike and the problem, and I let you guys know.
            Thank you for the respond .

ard

Comment

Lots of folks mess with thier tuning and never admit it when they ask for help. Be extra inquisitive.

Comment

rpm

Hi everyone, to answer Scotty's question, I visited my friend, and started the bike the rpm works fine on nutral, once you engage the clutch it would not go higher then 3 to 4 k, as soon as you engage the clutch the rpm jumps. What you guys think?.

ard

Comment

Hmmm, me thinks something is fishy with the clutch. I am taking a guess that something broken is dragging in the clutch. When you put it in gear with the clutch dis-engaged (that is with the clutch lever pulled in), does any of the following happen:

1. RPM's drop significantly or bike stalls
                  2. Rear wheel still spins when on the center stand (hard to stop with fingers)
                  3. A grinding noise is present
                  Currently bikeless
                  '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                  '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Are you saying the engine won't rev past 3000 or 4000, with the clutch enguaged, or does the engine rev but the tach ( rpm guage ) only goes to 3 or 4 thousand?

Comment

rpm

when in nutral I open the trotle, the bike screams and the rpm goes up as high as you open the trotle, once engaged in gear, as I ride the bike it wont go higher then 3000 rpm and opening the trotle does not help. the engine does not scream.

ard

Comment

are the brakes locked up?

-ryan
                        78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                        82 Kat 1000 Project
                        05 CRF450x
                        10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

It takes very little fuel to rev an engine to redline when in neutral, but an engine under a load will take much more fuel, thru different parts of the carbs, to rev. Does the rear wheel turn freely when in neutral, and on the center stand?

Comment

rpm

I have not tried it yet, I will find out today if the wheel turns free in nutral.
                            The rpm does not drop redically.
                            There is no strange noises.
                            I will put the bike on stand to see if the wheel turns free

ard

Comment

rpm

Hello everyone, I have the 1980 GS 1000 at my garage now,the one that had rpm problem, to refresh your memory, in nutral you can rev the rpm as high as you can, once in gear it would not go higher then 2 to 3000 rpm.
                              I pulled the gas tank off, I noticed none of the vacume lines were attached to the carb, the reason I say this is; I see there are vacum lines on the tank that comes off the fuel cock, that hanging in the air going nowhere. Should this be plugged or should this attach to the carb, if it goes to the carb can someone tell me what hose goes where? I have no manual for this bike, so any guidence is well appreciated.

Ard

Comment

Working...
                              X