intermittant white smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

intermittant white smoke

hi folks. i'm having a smoking exhaust problem, and i was hoping you guys could help me out. every once in a while, after riding around for a couple of hours (sometimes less, but usually only after a couple of hours. never close to starting time), my 82 gs850 starts spewing smoke out of the right exhaust only. always stops within a minute or two. i know it's most likely an oil leak into #3 or #4 cylinder (i haven't checked the plugs yet to verify which one).

now, for the questions:
    1. what are the possible causes? searching on the site leads me to believe it's either the pistons / piston rings, or its a valve issue (though, i don't know why a valve problem would let oil into the cylinder, and not gas)
    2. how can i check which problem it is, without taking everything apart?
    3. if it's the pistons, would i need to replace the pistons and the rings, or just the rings?

THANK YOU!

To check the pistons/ rings Need to have someone do a leakdown test, it will tell how well the rings are sealing. I would think the valve guide seals are dried out and not working very well.

Comment

smoke

when it smokes, does it start to miss on 3-4?and is it around town or in traffic riding (high Temp), or on heavy de-acceleration?

Comment

White smoke, not blue? Perhaps a carb float, flooding a cylinder with too much gas...

Comment

thanks for the responses, fellas.

gee-s-is, does not miss once it starts smoking. happens when riding around town (usually), though it happens after extended backroads riding. only notice it when stopped at a light.

billc, could possibly be blue smoke. i've only noticed it at night, though, and it doesn't seem like black smoke. almost like thicker cigarette smoke. i thought it was a carb problem initially, but for some reason i thought it was more likely oil. i'll check the plugs when i have a chance to see what i can see. shiny black = oil, dull black = rich mix, right?

SqDancerLynn1, i think i'm going to pick up a compression tester to see if that narrows it down to the cylinders (if the plugs definitely point to oil). if it is a valve seal problem, how easy is that to fix (i.e. could i do it myself w/o buying a million special purpose tools, or should i just take it to the shop? rather do it myself, but not buy things i'll probably only use once)

Comment

In order to replace the valve seals the head has to be removed. It's an easy job for me, but it depends on your mechanical skills A compression tester is not the same as a leakdown tester. No special tools required except a torque wrench, that you may be able to borrow from your local Auto Zone parts store.

Comment

Working...
            X