Clutch Problem '80 GS850L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch Problem '80 GS850L

I bought an '80 GS850L about 2 months ago, I finally got the electrical problems fixed(thanks to this website), however now I'm starting to see clutch slippage in 4th gear and 5th gear. It's not a problem under normal acceleration, but it really shows it's teeth the harder you lay down the throttle, especially after 6000rpm. The problem became apparent this weekend, and now I'm starting to scratch my head, wondering what I got myself into. I'm new to the biking world, and I'm limited in my knowledge mechanically, so any input would be greatly appreciated.

What I would like to know is what I might be up against before I take the thing apart, in the hope that somebody had this same problem. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Ken

First question?? What kind of oil did you put in?? How manny miles? I would replace the clutch springs (use OEM) and check the clutch plates

Comment

I used Valvoline 4 stroke, 20w-50. I changed it about 250 miles ago. The bike has 47K.

Comment

Any good place you can recomment for those clutch springs. Dealer? Website? Thank you for your help BTW. This site has been a great source of info(ie: Dynatec, Eletrex, etc..).

Ken

Comment

slip

do you have free play in the cable? check the screws on the clutch cover, if the slots on the srews are kind of beat up this may tell you if the clutch has been replaced or looked at before you got the bike, mine was done at 30,000

Comment

$7K Plan on replacing the clutch disks Check with
            www.DennisKirk.com for OEM or vehrash sp? clutch disks & some OEM springs

Comment

Thanks for your info, I forgot about Denniskirk, they have everything. It looks like it's Vesrah. However there is a cheaper set from Parts Unlimited. I was confused why EBC only has 3 discs in their set(shows what I know). Maybe I'll get lucky and only need the clutch springs($9.99)

Ken

Comment

I'll check the cable when I get home. That is always good info to know.

Comment

The first thing you need to check is that the clutch is fully engaged. This is pretty simple, just make sure that the clutch lever has some play when released.

If the lever is adjusted properly, then the clutch needs to be inspected. The manual should give you specifications for plate thickness wear limits and spring heights. It's a simple job to check these out and replace any worn or out of spec parts.

Comment

Thanks to all that replied to my post. When I got home last night, I dumped the 20W-50 oil, and replaced it with Castrol GTX 10w-40. The clutch problem improved drastically. It still slips a little under hard throttle, but not enough for me to really care, I'll just ride it till it becomes annoying again, then I'll get my hands dirty.

Comment

interesting....I've got the same bike, same year, picked it up same time....

I just notice this rattling sound that might be the clutch at real low rpms...

Its not always there though....

Comment

Working...
                      X