AT WHAT POINT DOES ONE GIVE UP?? CARBS?? 82 GS850GZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ARE WE CLOSER

It's more like a quick brisk walk, at my age, to the finish line. Thanks for the support.
    Anyway, I put the air box back in Thurs. evening,every so gently and double checked every connection. Fired the bike up and sprayed carb clean and WD-40 at every possible place it could leak.Now the carbs are as clean outside as inside. Motor never changed one RPM. Could this be the the start of some thing wonderful? Set the fuel pliot screws for the umphteen time, sounds sweet, nice idle and revs smooth. Hooked up the sync gauges and all is well in carb land. Now all we have left is the road test. Well I couldn't stand to see what the outcome will be, so I left work at 9AM FRi., with some lame excuse. My work day starts at 5AM. so my day was 1/2 over anyway. Came home and away we went. 165 miles latter we arrived home with NO GOD DAM SKIPPING OR RUNNING LIKE CRAP. I still am in shock with how nice it ran. I've got my fingers crossed for Sundays run. At this point I have all of you to Thank for this outcome. It has been a year since it ran this good.
    I think the air box end caps foam was the biggest issue, and I did seal the drain tube hose. Also installed 5/16 fuel line. Sealed and reset the bottom of the snorkle tube. Put in 4 new plugs and that's about it.
    So, gentelmen, at this point you have been the greatest with your suggestions. Thank you all so much, and safe ridding to all. Remember, keep the throttle twisted at all times!!!!!!!!
    Happy ridding to all. Enjoy what's left of the season. Be safe and healthy.
    Frank Grimes
    Keene, New Hampshire.

Comment

Hope she keeps running good! You've been through enough!
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Thanks for letting us know how it came out! Sometimes people solve their problem and vanish, and we never know what worked.

The first test ride where things actually work right is the sweetest feeling in the world (almost).

Now you'll never be able to get rid of your 850!
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

The air flow is very touchy on these bikes it seems. When I bought mine there was a serious hesitation while giving throttle from 3K on up. The plugs were a little too light so I figured it was running lean. I always start simple when trying to fix something. After checking the entire fuel system except the carbs, I took the air box end caps off and the foam gasket on both was totally rotted, the rubber snorkel was not seated, and the K&N air filter was just floating around in the air box and not slid in the tabs. I made gasket material for the end caps out of an old mouse pad. It had a cloth cover on one side and rubber on the other. I used contact cement on the cloth side so the rubber side would be the side compressing against the air box. While running, I srpayed WD-40 around any place that was a potential air leak and found none. The difference in running was like night and day. Perfect idle, instant throttle response at all RPMs, and power to spare. Did a carb synch and they were spot on. The moral of the story is that if your bike is basically stock, there can't be any air leaks, and the airbox has to be perfect for it to run right. Just my 2 cents. Bill

Comment

Yes, I think it'll be a keeper, if it keeps running like yesterday. A great feeling for sure . I can not imagine what it's like to tune running pod filters :x . I can't remember any motor being this fickel over air input. I've been ridding since 1963 and have had many, many motorcycles. Another lesson learned. To think of the hours this has consumed me over the last year or so. Hate to think about it $$$ wise but, by base gasket is starting to leak oil, so that'll have to be taken care of. Nothing I'm going to tackel. Eddies Vintage is just down the road from me, so I'll let experence tackel it. Then at that point, I'll just keep watching E-Bay for spares. I may take on the head bearings this winter and replace them with tapered roller style. Any secrets, for replacing them
            Have a great one all
            Frank

Comment

Working...
            X