Any opinion's on spark plug types?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any opinion's on spark plug types?

My 78 GS750 is almost rebuilt now. Many thanks to those here who have offered advice on various questions.

The STD spark plug recomendation for my bike is NGK B8-ES.

I was wondering if anyone has had experience of using multi ground electrode plugs in GS's, or any of the other designs that are `claimed' to offer advantages?

Thanks in advance.

Footy.

anyone has had experience of using multi ground electrode plugs in GS's
    Don't waste your money on the multi ground plugs. It is all BS, since there is only ever one spark no matter how many choices the plug offers. The platinum electrode ones CAN offer some benefits, but not enough for me to spend the extra on them. For my money, the best choice is the standard plug and change them every season (or more, if you feel like it) for cheap insurance.

Mark

Comment

Standard plug, change 'em every 4 - 6,000 miles.

You can get NGK B8-ES plugs at Pep Boys and Advance Auto stores, but not Autozone. They'll need the stock number, which is 4011. They're a lot cheaper there than at a motorcycle shop.

Advance also has the oil filters with the gasket, Fram CH6000.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Had Splitfires on my 550,NEVER AGAIN.$15 each,B8ES are fine!

Comment

Oh, er, didn't see that you're not in the US.

Anyway, look around at whatever auto parts stores you have over there for the NGK plugs and Fram filters -- they should be widely available, and the stock numbers should be the same.

For some reason, they're never able to look up the plug using B8-ES -- that's why you need the stock number.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Stick with the recomend Jap plugs. Stay away from gimmics.

Comment

Halford's have started stocking bike spares,but from what I've seen it's just for CBRs,R1s,R6s etc.Go to yer local bike shop,should be about ?2.50 a pop.

Comment

Thanks for your advice guys.

I am actually in the motor trade in England, and i have very good suppliers for consumables like plugs. It's when we have no choice but genuine Suzuki for some parts that it hurts!!

I know some of the claims for products like plugs can be BS, and peoples experiences tell the real story.

Thanks again.

Footy.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer
                  Standard plug, change 'em every 4 - 6,000 miles.
                  Dittos...I use std. plugs (what ever brand is on sale) change ~7,500mi, no "bad plugs" in 30 years of riding (Always put a dab of anti-seize lube on the threads)

Comment

Suzuki also recomends the ND W24ES NiponDensco, I had 12k miles on my last set of NGK plugs in my 850 still looked good.

Comment

I am currently using NGK Iridiums, and I like them. Aussie fuel is rubbish and the "self-cleaning" of the Iridiums seems to work. I will use them again , BTW am also "in the trade" so no idea on real prices, I havent paid full price for anything in years.
                      Dink

Comment

Originally posted by Dink
                        I am currently using NGK Iridiums, and I like them. Aussie fuel is rubbish and the "self-cleaning" of the Iridiums seems to work. I will use them again , BTW am also "in the trade" so no idea on real prices, I havent paid full price for anything in years.
                        Dink
                        Cheers Dink.

I think the fuel issue is interesting, and relates to my question here.

In my experience working on all kinds of engines in the engine reconditioning field, particular things can have a significant effect in `certain' engines. There are marketing `hypes' for aftermarket items, that rarely meet their promises, but on rare occasions they can make a difference! This is why i asked about the GS spark plug `experience'.

For example modern lead free fuels. There is a lot of advertising hype from the fuel companies about their `particular' product. In my experience modern fuels seem to have far more crap in them, and proper filtration is generaly a good idea! Also, they seem to `go off' a lot quicker! Stale fuel that just refuses to burn, is more of a problem in my line of work when vehicles have been unused for over a month or so!

But just occasionaly, there is an exception to a generality!

I sometimes work on an old 1275 Mini engine used in vintage rallying in England. Quite by chance, we found the use of Shell advanced unleaded considerably improved all round performance of this engine. Other `super' unleaded fuels did not!

I think this is just a case of the `particular' characteristics of this fuel suiting the `particular' characteristics of the engine!

I think experience is everything, and `sometimes' you get lucky!!

Regards.

Footy.

Comment

I also run my 850 with NGK Iridiums, and go to shell (whenever possible) to fuel, not only because I think they have better fuel, but it is cleaner than any other gas companies....

I will have to see how long I go with these iridium plugs before needing a change..

Comment

19 riding seasons on five GS bikes (four 850's before my 1100). 210,000 miles total on these five. All on NGK B8ES standard plugs.

Before that, NGK standard plugs on my Moto Guzzi, which I rode for 7 years and 70,000+ miles.

No plug related problems -- not one.

I change my plugs once a year, for the helluvit.

Nick

Comment

"I change my plugs once a year, for the helluvit.

Nick"

Cheap @#%$^$

Comment

Working...
                              X