how do you tell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do you tell

how do u tel if ur spark is bad, do i check resistance of the coil or what do i do?

turn fuel feed off. take out all the spark plugs. ground plug your testing to the motor and see if you get a spark. it should be bright blue.

Comment

First, just look to see if it is or isnt sparking.
      Take out spark plug. Lay it on engine case with it plugged back in to spark plug wire, and make sure the plug metal body is touching the engine case (so its grounded). Turn over engine with starter like trying to start it. Look at spark plug to see if there is a spark. I cant tell you ecactly how the spark should look (blue, yellow, white or whatever), but you can tell if its sparking or not. Check each plug.

If not a spark, then the electrical checks, like you mentioned, of the ignition coils, ignition module, and ignition pickup (assuming not breaker points) will help determine why its not sparking. But first look to see if it is or isnt sparking first.
      http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
      Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Here's a tip:

hold the spark plug against a part of the engine case far away from the open plug-hole (which will be spurting out gas vapour).

Comment

plug

Good tip there Fast Eddie, thats why I just use a spare plug and leave the others in, you should have a nice blue spark and you should be able to hear the crack of the spark, I use a new plug then you know that its good and not oil or fuel fouled, giving a faults reading, like the ones I just took out of my beezer

Comment

plugs

when you do this test there should be a fat blue spark that jumps across the tip remember the condition of the plug will also determine this so make sure its in good shape before attacking a coil or somthin

Comment

Working...
            X