Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jerky throttle

Hello,

IT didnt seem to be there when I bought the bike, but now, after having the bike tuned up a bit, new back tire, etc. the throttle is very sensitive. I have tried lubing the cable, and adjusting the slack of the throttle cable, to little avail.

When I switch between 89 and 91 octane, i notice a slight difference. maybe i just have to learn to be more delicate?

Have you synched that carbs? That helped smooth out my throttle response significantly.

Another thing I just learned about is the cush drive in the rear wheel. Mine was toasted. The cush drive acts kind of like a shock absorber for the drive line and is located in the wheel hub itself. Replacing that made the acceleration on my bike much smoother.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Jethro,
      How could you tell that the cush drive was toast?
      I have a 1 - 2mm play in my cush drive since I bought it. Its not getting worse, but its always in the back of my mind.

Comment

well, I can keep the thing pretty smooth while throttling up and down, but if i release slightly, its like im being bucked mildly on a horse...
        if that explanation helps?

mostly notable in 1st.

Comment

Jethro,
          How could you tell that the cush drive was toast?
          I have a 1 - 2mm play in my cush drive since I bought it. Its not getting worse, but its always in the back of my mind.
          Only by replacing it. I took the approach of "start replacing things until the problem is gone" and I'm sure that was part of it. 1-2mm play really is nothing, mine was worn to about 1/4" of play. When I replaced a tire I had a look at it and determined it had to be replaced.
          Currently bikeless
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

well, I can keep the thing pretty smooth while throttling up and down, but if i release slightly, its like im being bucked mildly on a horse...
            Are you sure your chain is adjusted correctly? Are the sprokets worn? Did you recently replace the chain but not the sprokets?

Due to the fact you say it's smooth while throttling up and down I would say the symptoms point less to the carbs than they do to the driveline. I made the mistake of fidlleing with my carbs for a year because I was totally convinced they were at fault. They were not.
            Currently bikeless

Comment

I have a shaftie (850<L).

I dont think its the carbs, as they were supposed to have been sync'd up about a month ago at the mechanic..

Comment

Working...
              X