Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1100 swingarm on a 1000 install ?

howdy,

i just got a 1100e alum swing arm for my 78 1000. i just did quick install to see how it looks and will go together.

i discoverd that the passanger peg brakets (the ones that are weled to the frame) come in contact with the swing arm.

granted my shocks do not extend much beyond the point of contact the swing arm makes but i still would like these brakets to not contact the swingarm at all.

so what i was thinking was i was going to get my car jack out and put it between both peg brakets and see if i can push them both out about a 1/2" or so on both sides.

what do you guys think, especial some of you guy who have done this mod to your 1000's. how did you get your swing arm to clear the brackets without contact.

-ryan
    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
    82 Kat 1000 Project
    05 CRF450x
    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

If it is like my 79GS850 the peg is mounted on a loop welded to the frame so it shouldn't be hard to bend it out 1/2' . I would heat the loop with a torch while you are trying to bend it

Comment

yep the very same welded metal loop. i'll see what i can do tommorrow

-ryan
      82 Kat 1000 Project
      05 CRF450x

Comment

I've put a GS 1100 alum. swingarm both a "78" standard, (spoked wheel), model & a "79" S model, and nothing hit the swingarms anywhere. Could the bike possibly been down, sometime in the past 26 years, and bent the brackets in slightly? Whatever the reason the brackets won't clear, slightly bending them out so they will clear seems to be the remedy. Good luck

Comment

yep used a car jack and it worked out well. i will keep a eye on it once i start riding it.

-ryan
          82 Kat 1000 Project
          05 CRF450x

Comment

Working...
          X