GS 650 Rearend Lub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 650 Rearend Lub

Can someone please tell me the corect Lub to be used in gs 650 shaft rearend.

Clean off the old grease, and just use any decent moly grease on the splines. It doesn't take much, but make sure each spline gets a dab of grease.

Ordinary brownish grease won't protect as well -- make sure you use the stinky nasty moly grease. A big tub (lifetime supply) might cost you $4 or so.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

the differential requires regular 90 wt gear oil

Comment

Oh yeah, I guess he might have been asking about what goes INSIDE the gear case as well as what goes on the splines!

The only place you'll find straight 90W is in a boat shop or sometimes in a motorcycle shop. The much more commonly available 85W90 is also perfectly fine to use.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

even 70w90 is perfectly fine to use, back when this bikes were build multi grade gear lube was uncommon.
          I recomend using a synthetic gear lube, it reduces friction and in turn the temperature of the final drive.
          when I did it, I could tell a slight but noticable improvement in aceleration, and a definate reduction in gear housing temperatures on long rides.

Comment

Working...
          X