What is wrong with my signal lights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is wrong with my signal lights?

I have a problem with my signal lights on my 1981 GS1000G. Intermittantly, my signal lights decide not to work. I was told I'd need to change the signal relay, so I ordered one to the tune of $100. I pulled in to the dealership in my town. My signals were not workings when I turned off the key. I went in to purchase the relay, came out and switched it. Guess what? Still no luck! Now I'm stuck with a brand new relay which the dealer said could not be returned because it was electrical and my signal lights still decide themselves when they want to work. My bulbs are fine as well.

Can anyone help me solve this problem?

P.S. Other than this small problem, the bike is great!

Do they light up at all? As in do they just stay lit with no flashing when you use the turn signal?
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

yeah, describe what they do or don't do, I've had one come on but not flash, turned out to be a disconnected wire in the headlight housing!!

Comment

Yeah, same problem here. A very common problem with all old bikes is that the ground wire connections get corroded. When this happens there is always an open circut, the signal relay then won't have a closed circuit to alternate between. I've had to rewire my entire bike because of it.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

also, even though its a simple thing, make sure ur fuses are in nice and tight! (and working!!)

Comment

grab your test light. disconnect the signel light. ground the test light then with the other end of the light stick it in the connector that goes back to the relay. if it starts flashing you need to replace the wires in your signel light.

Comment

I have also read in here that a low charge on the battery will cause the signal lights not to blink...They just stay lit up all the time.
              Maybe check your charging system?

Comment

Fixed At Last

Well! It was a pain in the butt, but my problem is now solved. As it turned out my wiring harness was mounted the wrong way and caused two different wires to pinch, rub, and short out. Also, one conection only had a single wire strand crimped in the connecter. Now they work like a charm!

Thanks all for your suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                X