Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

STRANDED on the side of the road!

Hello Guys,
    After a really nice one hour ride home yesterday I was about 10 minutes from home, I stopped at a red light, my bike stalled and would not start, I mean not even turn over. I was stranded! I had to push the bike to a nearby parking lot. Very frustrating, I had to have my wife in the mini-van come and pick me up :x . Anyway, my first thought is that it is the starter, but I wondering if it could just be some crazy electrical malfunction. I purchased the bike a couple of weeks ago, and the wiring looks a little messy. Also the previous owner said he had just put a new starter in it a year ago. I took the starter button apart and everything looks good there. There is power when I turn the key, the head light comes on, and the horn, turn signals etc. work fine.

Any thoughts on this one guys? It is a 1980 GS750.

Did you check all of the fuses? Check the solenoid fuse as well, if it is so equipped.

Comment

Recently, I read that one of the guys had the same trouble and it turned out that the emergency shut off switch was defective--He took it apart,and cleaned the contacts. All was ok after that

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion Tony, yes, I checked the shut off switch when I had the start button apart, it looked ok.

I also checked all the fuses, and they were ok. tbarnby, where is the solenoid fuse, if I have one? Where are they generally located?

Thanks

Comment

i love my kick start

Comment

IS the battery charged?? Check the clutch saftey switch. Check the small wire on the starter relay it should have somewhere around 12 v when you push the start button, Next try to junp the two large posts on the starter relay to see if the starter works. MAKE SURE THAT IT IS IN NETRUAL If it still doesn't work it probably is the starter. I don't think the starter relay has a seperate fuse. The 12 v to the relay may be fused thru the main circuit

Comment

Check the clutch safety switch as well. Sometimes those things bugger up and you'll get everything electrial working but it wont start.

Comment

yes, the battery is fully charged. The "starter relay" sorry but is that the round thing next to the fuse box under my left panel? I will check the clutch safety switch next.

Thanks Guys. I am going through withdrawls, I need to get back on that thing and feel the wind in my face. 8)

Comment

yes that round thing is the starter relay jump the two posts with a screwdriver and see if the starter work That bypasses all of the other circuits

Comment

OK, Thanks Lynn! I jumped the two posts on the starter relay and it started up. So does this mean that there is a short somewhere? I looked for a safety switch on the clutch but I couldn't see one anywhere. Does anyone know if my 1980 bike has one. I know for a fact that if it was in neutral I didnt have to hold the clutch in to start it.

Any suggestions what it may be?

Thanks so much you guys, I can't tell you how much I appreciate this forum. You are truly the best.

Comment

Your bike should have a clutch sw it is located next to the clutch lever on the handle bars on the bottom side. Also Check the small wire on the relay It should have 12v on it when you push the starter button.
                      Run a wire from the battery + and touch it to the small relay wire. if the starter works the relay is ok and you need to check the related wiring-- stop switch/start button/ clutch switch. If it doesn't work relay is probably bad

Comment

Ok, so here is the latest. When I jump the two posts on the starter relay it cranks over but doesnt start. I am going to check to see if I have any spark next, I am assuming I don't otherwise I would think it would start. The other thing is that as soon as I crank over the bike by jumping the posts on the relay, my almost new battery went completely dead, like not an ounce of juice in there. Thought that was odd. I have it on the charger now. I also tried to jump start it but it wouldnt start that way either, so I am thinking that it is something that is causing BOTH the starter and whatever gives spark to not work.

Any ideas guys?

Thanks

Comment

Sounds like your starter is drawing so much amperage there is not enough to fire the coils.The starter needs rebuilding/replacement.The brushes are worn out.

Comment

Thanks hoyterb, but what about when i try to bump start it? I am not using the starter at all for that.

Comment

By the time you bump start your battery is nearly dead and your lights are on not letting the ign. get enough power to fire.Try disconnecting lights and put in a switch for lights?

Comment

Working...
                              X