Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000G with 18" Front Wheel?

Hi

This week I went to look at a UK spec 1982 GS1000G which is up for sale. It looks Ok but I noticed it has a 18" front wheel fitted. I thought all the GS series had 19" front wheels so I'm a bit confused.

What makes it more confusing is that it is definitely a suzuki wheel and the front mudguard (fender) fits perfectly. So I'm wondering if it has had a completely new front end from another bike. The owner says it's original (of course).

Can anyone tell me if the GS1000G had 18" wheels fitted in its last year before the GS1100G? If not, what other bike had 18" GS mag wheels fitted?

Thanks

Mark

I may be wrong on this, but I'm almost sure that the only 18" front wheels on GS bikes were fitted on the small twins, not the fours. GS400, 425, and 450 all came with 18" wheels.

I'm absolutely sure the GS1000G, both 80 and 81 models, came with 19" wheels originally.

It could be that the 18 incher fits the axle, calipers, discs, and front end just fine, knowing how well many GS parts interchange.

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Diaz
      I may be wrong on this, but I'm almost sure that the only 18" front wheels on GS bikes were fitted on the small twins, not the fours. GS400, 425, and 450 all came with 18" wheels.

I'm absolutely sure the GS1000G, both 80 and 81 models, came with 19" wheels originally.

It could be that the 18 incher fits the axle, calipers, discs, and front end just fine, knowing how well many GS parts interchange.

Nick
      My 450L has the 19 so maybe the 250 has the 18s but not the 450

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Diaz

Nick
        Fair point, but it's a twin disc wheel, the GS400/425/450 only had a single disc??

Mark

Comment

I don't know much about the small GS twins. What you can do is go to the Gallery and check out the many pictures there of various GS bikes. This will probably answer your questions.

Nick

Comment

Working...
          X