Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing o-ring where tach cable hits engine

Hey,

I'm replacing the tach cable on my bike and, as I have a slight oil leak in the area, am also replacing the two o-rings in the housing that the tach cable attaches to.

One is a standard o-ring, which is easy to replace. However, the other is "embedded" in the housing somewhat and I can't seem to pry it out. Does anyone have suggestions on how to remove that one? I'm getting to a point where I might just try to cut it out or something.

Thanks.

--Tyler

Cut it with a sharp knife.

Comment

I just tried that - bad idea. The rubber on this "o-ring" actually coats a circular metal piece, so cutting was out of the question. I eventually got it out by wedging the hooked end of one of those fingernail cleaners under the bottom and prying it up. It was really crammed in there though.

--Tyler

Comment

Get a large set of o-ring like you can get from a tool catalog, (got mine from harbor frieght tools for $10) find one that fits, put it in and reattach tach cable. That fixed the leak on mine. The set also has carb boot sized o-rings. It's better than dealing with m-cycle parts guys that don't want to be bothered to charge you $2.00 for a o-ring

Comment

Their are two seals one is an O ring the other is an actual seal

Comment

The one I've been refering to is not the typical o-ring, but the actual seal. It's larger than an o-ring, but essentially serves the same purpose.

--Tyler

Comment

Working...
            X