Clutch Ignition Switch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch Ignition Switch?

Ok, So very embarrasingly I dropped my bike this morning. I was out for a ride with my friend, I stopped and turned to talk to her at the same time. Bad move. Over I went. Didnt think it was such a big deal, I managed to put it down pretty gingerly and get out of the way, but it did stall because I let out the clutch as it fell. When I got it back up, no starter. The electrical system was on, but it was as if the kill switch were engaged (which it wasnt). I tried unsuccessfully to push start it. After a while I realized that Id dropped it on the clutch side and it was behaving as if I I didnt have the clutch in. I didnt have any tools, but I was shaking it around and trying to figure out how the mechanism worked when, lo, it started. Off we drove, and everything seemed fine. It started fine 4 more times. But then, nothing. So. I THINK that its the switch in the clutch. But Im not sure. I got it started again after jiggling the wires going into the bottom of the clutch control. Anyone have any suggestions on how to procede? The bike is an 80 450e.

Thanks.
    -Chad

I disengaged mine--so I could have my left hand free to hold my choke open while trying to start the bike.

Take the headlight out of its holder by unscrewing the 3 screws. Trace the wires coming from the clutch perch back into the headlight shell....you can unplug these from the two connectors they plug into BUT you must then plug these two connectors in to each other. Not the wires from the clutch, but the conenctors these wires plugged into. This will bypass the clutch switch entirely; even if you don't want to keep it this way, it'll let you test whether that was the problem.

The way the circuit works, the clutch switch is normally open. Pulling in the clutch CLOSES the circuit and enables the starter to run. If the switch gets messed up or the wires broken/unplugged--say in a fall--the circuit will be open, and the starter won't work.

Comment

OK

Sounds easy enough, Ill try it tomorrow and see if that is in fact the problem. Thanks.

-Chad

Comment

Yup!

That was easy. That was the first time I disassembled the headlight, but I got the switch out of the loop and she started up just fine. Thanks. Is there any reason why I should worry about getting the switch fixed? Will I do any harm on that hundreth start from now when I forget to disengage the clutch and hit the starter with it in 1st? I assume it'll buck a bit, but Ive (*embarrassed cough*) done it once or twice in my 66 VW beetle to no ill effect.

Thanks again,
        -Chad

Comment

achiii, I've had my 1100 now for over 21 years, and the clutch switch disconnected for at least 20 of those. No problems except when a friend rides it and leaves it in gear. Even on those rare occasions, it's never fallen over when I hit the starter standing next to the bike. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
          X