High heat glue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High heat glue?

I just got in my new engine cover badges from Bike Bandit. They have what looks like 3M sitcky back tape on the back side, but I'm not trusting my $30 emblems on that. Is 5 minute epoxy gonna hold up to the heat of the engine? What would work- do they make high heat glue of some sort? How about RTV sealant?
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

The 3M glue that comes on there has worked fine for me. It's the original Suzuki part number on mine....surface preparation is the ticket, plus good pressure for a few minutes.

Comment

Yeah, I guess the heat would do nothing but help that 3M tape stick better.
      Currently bikeless
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

The 3M backing will absolutely hold. No worries.
        Just clean the case good before applying.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

They're right, I've spent a lot of time working with that stuff and even more time trying to get it off of things. Use rubbing alcohol to clean contact area, let it evaporate, then stick it, hold it, and forget it, it should be there for a while.

Comment

The original 3M material will work fine.

But......... if you ever have to take them off (like I did), most of it will remain on the engine cover.

To put them back on, I used a thin coat of "Amazing Goop" - and they've held fine for 6,000 miles. It dries clear too.

And a word of caution......... DON'T EVER EVER EVER USE that god-forsaken- never -should -have- been- released- on -the- market crap that is called "Gorilla Glue". Don't use it for anything. It not only expands to about three times it's original size while drying, but it also looks peanut brittle when it dries.

I believe there's a word for that stuff when it dries......... it's actually a combination of two words.......... FUGLY! I wouldn't even give that stuff to my neighbor kid to glue two sticks together with.

Anyhow, the 3M material is fine, but if you ever take them off...... use Amazing Goop - it's good stuff.

Chad
            Columbus, OH 1978 GS550E

Comment

Recheck the covers during and after first few rides. Using a glove (hot) re-press the covers on. This will make sure they will "wet" or adhere completely...provided you cleaned the casing surfaces properly before applying...and don't touch the 3M adhesive once you peel off the protective backing. Doh!!!

Comment

And just a quick one, be very careful not to spray degreaser on them, it'll seep in behind them and combined with the engines heat, will destroy the adhesive and your badges will fall off. Same goes for steam cleaners and pressure washers! Cheers, Terry. :twisted:

Comment

I've had good luck by smoothing out the surface and using rubbing alchohol. My badges don't seem to be going anywhere.
                  Currently bikeless

Comment

Working...
                  X