1980 gs1100e starter trouble.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 gs1100e starter trouble.

Back in March I had the same problem. When I push the starter button the solenoid clicks but no starter action. In March, I checked all the electrical it was fine so I pulled the starter, hit the button and WHHHIIIIIIRRR the starter went round just fine. I put the starter back in and it has worked fine until about a week ago and the whole thing started over again. This time I was able to rock the bike in gear and it would start, this morning at the gas station the bike was having none of it. So, I push started it. I?m going to do the trouble shooting again that I did in March. I?m thinking it may be time for some new brushes. Any comments from the experts?

Yes Evil, that is probably the trouble. Check with some local automotive starter & alternator shops, they should be able to help. Be sure not to peck on the starter, trying to get it to start. That will work for automotive starters, but you can easily break the magnets that are glued to the inside of the outer case of a bike starter & that's definitely a no!! no!!

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips
      Yes Evil, that is probably the trouble. Check with some local automotive starter & alternator shops, they should be able to help. Be sure not to peck on the starter, trying to get it to start. That will work for automotive starters, but you can easily break the magnets that are glued to the inside of the outer case of a bike starter & that's definitely a no!! no!!
      I found a place by looking at the passed postings on GSR to get a rebuild kit for the starter. NO Pecking will happen.

Comment

The local shop I use says he can make the brushes & do the repairs for less than the kit costs him.

Comment

I'm checking a motorcycle boneyard today. I'm looking for starter, mastercyclinder, right side controls (horn/ dimmer) and bars with superbike bend. I think I'm going to start going to this yard often and getting parts to rebulid and selling them on ebay.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
            Yep that's the place

Comment

When you install the brushes polish the commutator with some very fine emery cloth or carbide sandpaper. Then with something softer than the metal clean the grooves on the commutator.

Comment

Working...
              X