Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb help-2 black,2 white...

Hello again!
    In the interest of a quick diagnosis by you guys,I'll just stick to the facts concerning my problem.Here goes...
    I've just had my carbs cleaned and synch-ed by the local motorcycle wrench in town.He also did a valve adjustment.So far so good.
    It ran good for about the length of time it takes to get out of sight of his shop,but I was ready for a ride and continued home.
    Arrived home 15 minutes later,parked,and noticed bike was very hot.It didn't get hot on the short ride the next morning.
    Symptoms: Hard to start on full choke (cold mornings now),but will with little/no choke
    -runs better cold than warmer (say,10-15 mins into ride)
    -hesitates/lurches along under 3-3500,then takes off,steadyrunning on the hiway ' lurchy'
    -mileage has plummeted
    -two left cylinders black and sooty,two right ones white
    I was raging inside my helmet at this mechanic,and would have taken it to him directly,but have since become busyand haven't been able to get the bike back to him just yet.I let him know of the problem,though.I realise things happen,but I don't want to be fooled by this guy.Hey, maybe it's not even related to what he did.
    Any advice on this problem will help when i do go to take it back.
    Thanks again guys,

Paul Mitchell

Was the tank cleaned at the same time did the mechanic install a filter? IF there was rust in the tank it could have pluged the jets again

Comment

Yes,the tank was cleaned and sealed with POR-15 prior to the bike being sent.I let the tank dry for a week,then rinsed it out with gas just to make sure (the gas came out clean).
      Thanks,I should have stated that earlier!

Comment

Did he adjust the float levels?

Comment

did you say which 2 plugs?? could be a coil or a disturbed wire to one of them. I dsidnt reas the whole post. sorry.
          Nope not coils--wrong cylinders.

Comment

Sounds like a classic case of a very poor carb synch.
            Bet if you hooked it up you would see the vacuum levels on 1 and 2 well above 3 and 4. This rich mixture would explain not needing much or any choke in the morning. It would also explain why it runs better while still colder. Also the poor fuel mileage and the two black plugs.
            Then the two lean cylinders would cause over-heating and white plugs, as you noticed.
            Of course, it could be a case of butchered carb work, such as poor float adjustment or the mixture screws set way off. But I would first hook up a vacuum tool and observe the levels.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

With the 1,2 cylinders running black and the 3,4 cylinders running white, its a carb set up and synch problem. Keith is dead on. I will go one step farther than Keith and say the person that worked on your bike didnt have a clue what he was doing. I wrenched once upon a time for a bike dealer and the new bikes that came in for service, were worked on by the certified wrenches. The older the bike, the less qualified the mechanic that was assigned to work on it. A 20 year old bike would never see a qualified mechanic. When the guys cutting the grass and trimming the walks ran out of something to do, the owner would call them in to give them some "hands on" experience. (NO, I am not exaggerating)

Earl
              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Thanks for the advice,guys.Much appreciated! Earl,i did get the sense that
                the mechanic 'rushed' the job,now that you mentioned it. We'll see what happens when I go back.

Thanks again,

Paul Mitchell.

Comment

Why not learn to synch and do carb work yourself?
                  A simple but good tool such as a Motion Pro vacuum tool is only $40 and we can help you if you have just basic mechanical ability.
                  And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                  Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I donno where you are looking but the cheapes one that i saw on the motion pro web site was $160.00.

If you know of a good deal please enlighten us as to where, and what model.

Comment

Try cyclerecycle at http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/Index_Main_Frame.htm
                      Mercury synchronizing tool with adapters, $39.95.

Earl

Originally posted by Astra625
                      I donno where you are looking but the cheapes one that i saw on the motion pro web site was $160.00.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Carbs 2 black 2 white etc...

Not to sound rhetorical, but 2 carbs are running rich, way rich, so mileage went down. When he cleaned carbs, could have disturbed crud in carbs which are preventing float needles from shutting off properly, OR he could have bumped the floats, changing the float height, OR are the carb boots on properly OR on and on....

Running hot sounds like excess gas getting into the cylinders. Ask him what he did when he cleaned the carbs....and listen to his answer carefully. Make sure when he did the valve adjustments that they were correct. Quick check of cold clearances OR do a compression and see if it is OK in all cylinders when the bike is fully warmed up. Another way to check is to listen to see if the bike cranks evenly when hot and run switch is OFF.

Comment

Carb trouble - Keith is Right - Hail to Keith!!!!

As the subject states - we are not worthy. Hail to Keith. Ouch.

Comment

Re: Carbs 2 black 2 white etc...

Excess gas in the cylinders would be a rich mixture. Rich mixtures run cooler.

Earl

[quote="Tony Dieter"]

Running hot sounds like excess gas getting into the cylinders. Ask him what he did when he cleaned the carbs....

Comment

Originally posted by Astra625

I just walked into my nearest accessory/parts shop and bought one after seeing a good review from a bike magazine.
                              $35 four years ago. Many at this site have bought the same tool. $40 now.

Comment

Working...
                              X