Traffic signal tripper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
    How about using the whole speaker instead of just the magnet? Hook it up to a CD player playing rap to get a large, fairly random "disturbance in the force" that might activate these stupid sensors. A moving magnet (like a speaker playing) should really trip the trigger.

I'm only about 3/4 kidding. Can you imagine "boom bikes" competing with the "boom cars" at stoplights? Finally, we'd have something more than just exhaust...
    I actually looked into this. (not so much a boom bike, but at least reasonable music that would be loud enough to be audible over engine/wind/road noise)

Not with a GS unfortunately.

All the big (or even medium) amplifiers will take more (usually MUCH MUCH more) than the 15amps that our main fuse is.

I looked into just installing some 5 1/4 speakers and a small amp to run them.
    Anything over about 20 watts/channel (real power, not the inflated numbers some manufacturers quote) just aint happening.

The boom boom cars are in the hundreds to even thousands of watts range.

The louder ones kill normal car alternators (150 amps or so) and need special high output alternators and dual batteries and such nonsense.

To get back on topic, I have some blown speakers and light that has a bad sensor near me ... time for some experiments.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous View Post
      I'm sure many--if not all--of you have had to deal with traffic signals that won't recognise a motorcycle. I don't especially like running red lights or red left turn arrows, so I'd like to find a good, practical solution to this problem.
      The most practical solution is to find out from your police department or highway departmen who is responsible for the sensors and ask them to make the adjustments. We are fortunate in our corner of southwest oHIo in that one of the supervisors in charge of adjusting the traffic light sensors is also a motorcyclist. He has been known to bring his own bike out to make sure the sensor trips.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
      X