Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil drip

Hello all,

On my 83 GS 650 L, I have an oil drip comming from the main plug under the oil pan. i replaced the plug and washer with a new parts, but it still is dripping oil. It's not as bad as it was, but still annoying.

Perhaps I didn't tighten it enough. Any one know the proper torque spesifications?

Or is this a bigger problem? Or maybe some other thing I need to do.

Thanks,
    Mark

Grandebob The torque on the drain plug should be 7-8 Ft lbs.Multiply by 12 to get inch-pounds.Your drip could be drain plug threads getting loose.Try replacing the plug,clean the threads and put a couple of drops of finger nail polish on the threads.Good luck Brian H.

Comment

I have seen bikes where over tightening the drain plug resulted in a crack instead of the usual stripped thread. If so, you may be able to fix it with one of those epoxy thread repair kits. This bolt alone is a good excuse to buy a torque wrench.
      Axel

Comment

Last March I had to have the oil pan on my car replaced because the plug was overtightened by <OIL CHANGE STORE> and it cracked the pan at the drain.

It didn't matter how tight it was, it would still leak. Drain the oil and inspect the threade3d area very carefull for cracks and signs of stress.

Comment

Working...
        X