Tach Cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tach Cable

Does anybody know the part number or have any info on where I can get a new tach cable for a 1986 GS550ES? Bikebandit schematics don't show it, ( the schematic shows the speedo cable, no tach cable :? )motion pro doesn't show it. Probably just have to take it off and measure it, but wanted to order it tonight.....

Re: Tach Cable

Go to http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/Index_Main_Frame.htm
    Tach cable for 86 550E $10.95
    ES would be the fairing model, but the instruments should be in the same location as the E model (in front of the handlebars), so cable length would be the same.

I've ordered from them a lot. Good people to deal with. They ship priority mail and I usually get thing in about 3 days.

Earl

Originally posted by Rhpassmore
    Does anybody know the part number or have any info on where I can get a new tach cable for a 1986 GS550ES? Bikebandit schematics don't show it, ( the schematic shows the speedo cable, no tach cable :? )motion pro doesn't show it. Probably just have to take it off and measure it, but wanted to order it tonight.....
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

ordered last night - thanks for the info, wasn't sure if the "E" model as the same or not (minus the fairing of course)...

Comment

Oh my - found out after looking at my bike that I must have an electronic tach. It has NO cable from the tach to the engine block. The actual tach cable hole is capped off. No wonder the schematics on bikebandit didn't show it..

Now my question is why would an electronic tach do this...
        From 0 to 5.5k- 6.5k it runs steady. After that it runs jerky and goes up VERY quickly from 5.5 to redline. Engine rpms (by sound) do not increase that fast. No clutch slippage and no vibration. Maybe a resistor? And where does the Tach get it's info from - spark???

Thanks All...

Comment

Hey passmore, your posts are fun to answer.

I won't pretend I know much at all about electronic tachs, but I do know they're usually set up to read the signal from the CDI (ignition control) box or a sensor in the ignition circuit, or (maybe) an inductive sensor.

BikeBandit lists your bike as having a cable. If they're right, that might mean that your tach is either retrofitted from another Suzuki bike, or aftermarket. Or BikeBandit is wrong, and you have a stock tach. Either way, it's got to have a wire that somewhere sends a signal to the tach, which interprets that signal as an RPM reading.

To fix your problem, you should first check the simple stuff, and check out whatever is sending that signal. Look on the tach for the signal input wire and follow it to its source. If it's off of the CDI, clean the connectors. If it's in the ignition circuit somewhere, clean it or replace it. If it's inductive (on a spark plug wire), either move, reseat, or replace the sensor.

This might do the trick. If not, you may have to suspect the tach. See if you can't fit it to another GS cycle and see how it reads. Whether its analogue or digital in operation, an electronic tach has precise equipment in it. Hope yours is ok, though...

Comment

Nope - the bike is stock.. I'm begining to think I'm not though - it's stock... Bikebandit shows a speedo cable - no tach cable. I did a search after ( :? ) my post, and found several threads dealing with these symptoms. Seems I may need to replace two capacitors on the circut board from the tach. I will wait until the season is over, then I can do it at my leisure. (Heated basement). I will do the suggestions you have, then the capacitor route.. In the mean time - anybody need a , well, now NOS tach cable from a 1986 GS550E model???????? Brand new!!

Comment

I did not realize the 550 models ever went to an electronic tach. My 85 1150 has an electronic tach too. Karl Zellner came up with the capacitor fix for the tach. I dont remember the values of the capacators required, but Karl's username on the GSR is KZ. He's in Lidingo Sweeden. You can just search for him by author and PM him. I'm sure youll get the answers you need.

Earl

Originally posted by Rhpassmore
              Nope - the bike is stock.. I'm begining to think I'm not though - it's stock... Bikebandit shows a speedo cable - no tach cable. I did a search after ( :? ) my post, and found several threads dealing with these symptoms. Seems I may need to replace two capacitors on the circut board from the tach. I will wait until the season is over, then I can do it at my leisure. (Heated basement). I will do the suggestions you have, then the capacitor route.. In the mean time - anybody need a , well, now NOS tach cable from a 1986 GS550E model???????? Brand new!!
              Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
              X