Need some help with wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some help with wheels

Will any tubeless approved wheels fit on my '78 GS750 without modifying anything? I don't mind a tire size change if necessary.

Hi, Just did tires change out on my 82 650. They have tubes in them. Factory aluminum mags. I was going to go tubeless, but, had to get the valve stems for the wheels. Called Suzuki parts guy & told they would have to match up & bring in the wheels. But, they called for in his book. Tubes. Arugh! Went & bought new tubes for 10 bucks each. Well, thinkin the valve stem would of been about the same or close on cost. Use dishwashing detergent on the beads for seating. Works wonderful. My son tryed WD40 & he couldn't get the bead seated. Cleaned the Wd off & showed him the D/wash method I learned in my " youth" long time age. lol, Dave

Comment

Anything from a 750 & up should bolt right on. If you go form spoked to mag, the spacer on the brake side of the rear will need to be changed.

Comment

I managed to find a tubeless front rim of the same size and style for my 750E. It was made in 1982. Haven't found a rear rim yet. They're easy to spot - Says TUBLESS right on the rim I'm looking for a 17x2.5 rear - a 139/90/17 tire will fit & there's no clearance problems with the swingarm.

Terry

Comment

Terry,
          I have an '85 rear in that size with a either a 120 or a 130 mounted. The spoke pattern is different than your '82 wheel though. Three pairs of spokes from '83 up. It's the same pattern as the first two GSXR model years.

Comment

you can turn your oem suszuki mag rims into tubless by buying some valve stems and using a dremel and a file you can grind a flat spot around the valve opening to make sure the valve seats then just install the tire like you normally would. make sure to use tubless tires like metzler, spit fire, speed deamon.

you will just have to make sure to balance your tire after you get the tire seated.

-ryan
            78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
            82 Kat 1000 Project
            05 CRF450x
            10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

You sure about that?I was told on good authority there was no way in hell stock mags would take tubeless tyres without tubes as the alloy was slightly porous. :?

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

I have also always believed that the porosity if tube-type alloy wheels was the big problem. Any other opinions?

I would love to go to a motorcycle salvage yard to take measurements, but the few we have in my area are not ideal for that.

Comment

Well, when I got my rear tire changed, someone had a tube in

*the tire was tubeless tire, and the stock rims on my '80 850 GL are for tubeless.

If you run a tube, and theres not supposed to be one, you are making things more dangerous for yourself as you increase the friction between the tire, and the tube. not a good thing.

But since they had a tube in, I didnt have the right stem, so my mechanic fashioned one and cut it out so it fit right. works like a charm!!

Comment

Working...
                  X