Winter Storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winter Storage

The cold, non-rideable weather is fast approaching where I live in Canada. I have read a few things on what to do for winter storage, please have a look at my list and let me know if anything should be added or changed (PS I will be storing my GS in a non-heated shed).

The List (in no particular order):
    - Remove battery and store indoors on a non-cement surface
    - Change the oil
    - Add "stabil" to a full tank of gas
    - Drop a bit of 2 stroke oil into each of the cylinders
    - Keep bike on center stand and cover with tarp.
    - Anything else??

Much appreciated,
    Jeff

Make sure to give it a good coat of wax, maybe spray metal surfaces with WD40

Comment

You can get a spray can of "fogger" oil which is supposed to put a light ooating on the cylinder walls and keep corrosion away. It blows into the spark plug hole, then you re-install the plug, loosely. I have never used it, only know of it.

The stabilizer is a must if the bike will be stored for any length of time, but it is also a must that, after the staibilizer is put into the gas, the bike should be driven a bit to get the stuff fully mixed with the gas AND to get the now-treated gas into the carbs.
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Keep bike on center stand and cover with tarp.

tarps = condensation when the temps change. found out he hard way every one keep putting tarps over my bike when i was out of town for the winter. came back in the spring to a mess.

Comment

You can also drain the carb bowls and run it dry, to prevent the gas from getting gummy. I didn't do this last year though since I drove it every couple weeks instead. 8)
          Put it in top gear and spin the rear wheel every few weeks.

Comment

Look Here

Have a look at this URL:

Excellent detail

SV

Comment

I also put a piece of quarter inch plywood under the front tire to keep it off the cement floor.

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

SV, that checklist is awesome! I have bookmarked it for future reference.

I'm going to hold off storing it as long as possible, but we had our first frost hit the other night and there will only be a few odd nice days between now and the end of October.

You GS'ers in the southern/warmer states are friggin lucky :?

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by gremlin

tarps = condensation when the temps change. found out he hard way every one keep putting tarps over my bike when i was out of town for the winter. came back in the spring to a mess.
                  You can just use an old bed sheet to cover it (keeps the dust off but won't trap moisture)...

Comment

I've seen information to refute the belief that storing a battery on concrete will discharge it. Charging it now and then, or keeping it on a very light charge (like a battery minder), will keep in in shape for next season.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Lich
                      Originally posted by gremlin

You can just use an old bed sheet to cover it (keeps the dust off but won't trap moisture)...
                      What about M/C covers with vents.... I was gonna store ours under the one we have on them now on the street.

Comment

I put a folded up old comforter over the tank before putting my cover over the bike; just in case a snow shovel falls on it.

Comment

battery

in the days when batterys had a tar base case you could not leave them on the ground, the new plastics solved that problem.

Comment

Quite right. This is another of those correlation versus cause and effect misunderstandings. It is not storage on concrete that causes the battery to fail, but natural discharge over time causing sulfation within. Good quality knockoffs of the Battery Tender float charger are available for less than $10. Hook the battery up and no worries until the next riding season.

Originally posted by Hinermad
                            I've seen information to refute the belief that storing a battery on concrete will discharge it. Charging it now and then, or keeping it on a very light charge (like a battery minder), will keep in in shape for next season.

Dave

Comment

Winter Storage? Why??

Now, I ain't quite as far north as you, but Northern Colorado, just under Wyoming gets some hard winters. But, even if it snows, the roads are clear in a few days, and you can ride for a day or two before the next snow.

A good jacket, gloves, and leggings make all the difference. A good wool scarf around your neck and tucked in to the helmet keeps the neck warm and draft free.

Best way to store a bike in winter is to ride it any halfway decent days you get.

Edited to add: When I have stored bikes, like being deployed overseas, a squirt of WD-40 in each cylindar, stabilizer in the tank, and drain the bowls worked just fine for me. Center stand helps keep the tires round, too.

Comment

Working...
                              X