CARB INFO HELP!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CARB INFO HELP!!!

GSers! I need some help. I began rebuilding carburetors full time about a month ago. About 95 percent of my work has been with Kawasaki owners and I am pretty much up on Kawasaki tech stuff. The Mikuni round slide carbs on GS bikes were pretty much the same with the exception of choke actuation and small internal differences in needle jets, jet needles and jetting and such. I really do understand how the carbs work except for application and tuning specs. Here is where I could use your expertise....

I need the following info for ANY round slide Mikuni using GS. This is the info:

Model / Year
    Idle rpm's
    Carb Type
    Carb I.D. Number
    Bore Size
    Float Height
    Fuel Level
    Air Screw
    Pilot Air Jet
    Cut-Away
    Jet Needle
    Needle Jet
    Main Air Jet
    Main Jet

This info will come from the "Fuel System" section of the Service Specifications in a Suzuki shop manual. I could really use your help on GS550, GS650, GS750, GS850, GS1000 and GS1100 model's that used round slide carbs. I previously owned a 1982 GS1100 and know it used CV carbs so I suspect some/most GS1100 models also did.

You can email me this info at wgcarbs@allvantage.com

Anyone who helps in this will be eligible for a 10 percent discount coupon on ANY carburetor assembly buy or rebuild service and the coupon is transferable. All the above info must be filled in in order to get the discount coupon. Sorry, I don't sell carb kits or parts. The coupon will be good for one year from its issue.

An example of filled in info:

Model / Year GS1000S 1979
    Idle rpm's 900 ~ 1,100 rpm
    Carb Type VM26SS
    Carb I.D. Number 49010
    Bore Size 26
    Float Height 23 ~ 25
    Fuel Level 3 ~ 5
    Air Screw 1.0
    Pilot Air Jet #15
    Cut-Away 1.5
    Jet Needle 5DL36-3
    Needle Jet O-4
    Main Air Jet 1.5
    Main Jet #95

(I just need metric values and not inch values given)

Thanks! wiredgeorge

My 79 S uses 28mm carbs as stock...

Round slide Mikuni's? So that is both BS and VM then???

Do you only want US specs? Can the info also come from a Haynes manual?

Comment

hey george, i'm ahead of yeah here,

take a look at this link we started some time ago, maybe you can contribute to it too.

i can't rember if i put the gs1000 specs in yet or not but if they aren't i'l do that tonight.

-ryan
      78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
      82 Kat 1000 Project
      05 CRF450x
      10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Hi... I just put put up some '80,'81,'82-& '83, 1000 & 1100 factory service specs at the other thread

Comment

I am very interested in the VM28 specs. The BS carbs are constant velocity aren't they? I am interested in round slide (mechanical slide carbs) and these will have a carburetor nomenclature like the VM28. (VM series). Please post this stuff... the ID is very important as pulling out needle jets and jet needles to ID carbs kind of sucks ;-) I mostly work on round slide (mechanical) carbs although I can work on the CV as well...

Comment

Originally posted by wiredgeorge
            I am very interested in the VM28 specs. The BS carbs are constant velocity aren't they? I am interested in round slide (mechanical slide carbs) and these will have a carburetor nomenclature like the VM28. (VM series). Please post this stuff... the ID is very important as pulling out needle jets and jet needles to ID carbs kind of sucks ;-) I mostly work on round slide (mechanical) carbs although I can work on the CV as well...
            1979 GS1000S

VM28SS

main jet #95
            hoofdluchtsproeier 1.5 (main air jet?)
            naaldsproeier AO-2
            jet needle 5DL3 6-3
            stationaire luchtsproeier 1.2
            cut-off 1.5
            airscrew don't touch
            stationairy screw don't touch
            float height 23-25 mm

I translated the ones I know, maybe you can fill me in on the rest

Also posted this in the other topic.

Comment

Can you include the "Carb ID Number"??? That would be extremely helpful for the VM28SS. If you could find the service fuel level that would be very helpful... its value will be something like 4 or 3~5... this is a millimeter value where it is the distance between the float bowl gasket and actual fuel level (or where it SHOULD be). Also include the pilot jet... it will have a pound sign and probably be #15...

---------
              1979 GS1000S

VM28SS

main jet #95
              hoofdluchtsproeier 1.5 (main air jet?) (is main air jet)
              naaldsproeier AO-2 (is needle jet)
              jet needle 5DL3 6-3
              stationaire luchtsproeier 1.2 (probably the pilot fuel mixture screw)
              cut-off 1.5 (this is actually the slide cut-away)
              airscrew don't touch (it is likely capped)
              stationairy screw don't touch (AKA pilot fuel mixture screw)
              float height 23-25 mm

Comment

Originally posted by wiredgeorge
                Can you include the "Carb ID Number"??? That would be extremely helpful for the VM28SS. If you could find the service fuel level that would be very helpful... its value will be something like 4 or 3~5... this is a millimeter value where it is the distance between the float bowl gasket and actual fuel level (or where it SHOULD be). Also include the pilot jet... it will have a pound sign and probably be #15...

Pilot jet is not given but is indeed a 15, unfortunately the carb id is not given in my book, can it be found sonewhere on the carbs themselves? Also no service fuel level, bloody Dutch translation of a ???manual.

---------
                1979 GS1000S

VM28SS

main jet #95
                hoofdluchtsproeier 1.5 (main air jet?) (is main air jet)
                naaldsproeier AO-2 (is needle jet)
                jet needle 5DL3 6-3
                stationaire luchtsproeier 1.2 (probably the pilot fuel mixture screw)
                cut-off 1.5 (this is actually the slide cut-away)
                airscrew don't touch (it is likely capped not capped overhere
                stationairy screw don't touch (AKA pilot fuel mixture screw)
                float height 23-25 mm

Comment

The carb ID is a small number stamped on the flange of the outside carburetor. There will generally be four or five numbers and letters with two or three on the top and one or two on the bottom but in a shop manual will be written as one string of numbers letters so that 46805 in the shop manual will likely be

4 6 8
                  0 5

on the carb itself.

Here is a pic that shows the location. My digital camera doesn't have the resolution to show the actual numbers as they are small and engraved into the metal.

Comment

Does a late 70s vintage GS750 owner with VM26 carbs have specs they could share?

Comment

Working...
                    X