Knock,Knock after shift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knock,Knock after shift

Have a knock (2 or 3 times) after each shift, bike engine smooth, but knock irritating. Similar knock at startup, goes away when warm, but shift knock new ( 2 days). Engine top end rebuilt at 19000, bottom end untouched. Is it a clutch basket problem ( don't feel any slippage), or worse?

What kind of bike is it? GS1100s had problems with clutch basket that could cause knock or rattle. Thay also had starter clutches(behind flywheel) that came loose and knocked. How's your chain and sprockets?
    Axel

Comment

It's a 1981 750EX. Probably similar setup to the 1100s. Chain is new, sprokets good. Am fairly sure not a bearing problem, or would hear all the time. Is the clutch basket the problem, or stock plates/springs?

Comment

I think it is the same clutch or very similar. The problem is with the basket. It's attached to a large gear with rivets. These rivets can loosen up and cause some play that results in the knocking. I believe that once the rivets break your clutch will come loose and possibly destroy the cases and everything near it. When mine started knocking I sent it to Falicon who reinforced the back of the basket and installed stronger rivets. The other knocking noise that occured on my GS1100 was with the starter clutch. The starter clutch is located behind the flywheel on the left side of the engine. It's held on by three screws. The screws came loose and broke. I had to have the flywheel pulled by a shop then I just replaced the screws. I don't know what kind of damage would have happened if I let it go.
        Axel

Comment

Thankx for the info, I'll talk to my mechanic about it. It's due for an inspection of the valves. We put a set of 1100 cams & valves into it last winter. Big acceleration! I was thinking of upgrading the clutch anyway. Any preferences out there - Barnnet or Vesra ? I know the bike sat for 2 years, so plates soggy.

Comment

I don't know if sitting will hurt clutch plates, it hasn't hurt mine. I've used both Barnett and EBC in the past with good results.
            Axel

Comment

Working...
            X