Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Up turbo creek no paddle in sight. '78 7/11 turbo conversion

A little back round info first:

Past gsresources member who just got an interent connection again (been almost a year without).

1978 gs750 is slowly tranforming into an '78 gs1100 ray jay B-25 turbo bike. Im using an 8-valve gs1000 motor with the 1100 forged piston kit. Undercut trans. dyna 2000, mid 80's boxed aluminum swingarm...the list goes on. I acquired a cheap "ask (enough times) and you shall receive" 1000 motor to start from but was told it is missing a clutch.

Questions:
    1-Where can I find a clutch for this motor in southwestern Ontario, and a lock-up unit for the same engine? I havent pulled the cover to see what is missing but the clutch lever arm turns freely in a full circle....
    2-Does anyone have plans on the new mounting brackets needed to install this motor in a 750 frame? I have access to a FORD/Nemak machine shop so fabrication will not be a problem.
    3- Where and to what extent should the frame be stiffened?
    4- Can any turbo members out there explain to me how to set up my fuel system. Bike has a 38 round slide currently. Any boost controlled fuel regulators out there for bikes? or a closed-loop pressure fuel system with return lines and a pump? maybe a 1-7/8 S&S carb..? (just ideas).
    5- What parts can (and should) be salvaged from the 750? Both cams are in great shape and I read a bit about using the 750 oil pump gears. Are the starter and charging side internals the same?

Going to spend hours reading all the topics that I missed. I'll be at the national meet if it happens. The bike should turn a few heads when it is done.

Any help would be great

Mark

As for bracing the frame there are several areas. A guy by the name of Arnout has a website that shows the entire process but the site is down for construction right now.

Check out the Performance Mods section for a long thread by Katman on his rebuild. He did some bracing on his bike. You can also try to find room around the header to put in X bracing between the front of the frame. If you can beef up the steering head area, that's done too.

Try this site. http://www.ctv.es/USERS/softtech/mot...d/KawaMods.htm

Comment

Billy,
      Does the GSX-R 30% of your '85 include USD forks, or a similar newer/larger diameter front end. I know most suzuki sets bolt right, just wondering what set fits the best based on length and tire size. What is your set (if you have done this mod) and what worked, and what would you do different if you were to do it again. Great stuff on the frame bracing, thanks.

Regards,

Mark

Comment

Hi guys, Arnouts' site is at http://www.gsx1100.com/motor/gframe2.htm
        Try this one, it works. Make all reinforcements you can for stability.
        I'm working on a turbo 7/11 too, only I have a 16v GS 1100 instead of the 8 valve. So unfortunately, my templates won't work. But it's relatively easy. Put the motor on its side, put the frame over it, fit front mounts and rear bottom mounts and put upright. Then make new plates that go between motor and singarm pivot.
        I'll be using a blowthrough system instead of your drawthrough. But the engine itself needs the same upgrading. For the motor you can find parts at Falicon, like base spacer to bring back comp to about 1:7.8, slotted camwheels etc. They're great people. Use HD studs(ape) and a backplate clutch or complete new basket. (falicon) Lockup clutches are at APE, but I'm told that orig. plates with an extra steel plate will do fine up to 200 Horses. Use a new, Hd clutch hub nut. use an all-copper head gasket. (cometic) As far as I know, not many parts from the 8v 750 are interchangeable with the 16v 1100, but the 8v 1000 will be more similar.

Good luck! Marco.

Comment

Kaptain,

My front end is like the one found on '88-'90 US models. It's a conventional style 43mm fork with adjustments for everything. The bike sits lower than stock. Anything up to '95 I believe had tapered steering head bearings. Even the newer stuff should be able to be adapted. I have a '93 swingarm and a '97 shock to add sometime in the future. Just waiting to do a major overhaul. I have some wicked engine parts sitting waiting to be used.

My conversion happened back in the early '90s so USD units were fairly new stuff and I didn't have the advantage of internet shopping or Ebay. I did have a friend that raced for Yoshimura so it gave me access to some parts you couldn't buy if you wanted to. I am keeping an eye out for an inverted fork. A 3.5"X17" front wheel is the only way to go. Any of the GSXR front ends will be a major improvement over stock. I'd probably stick to something around '93. The GSXRs had gotten a little porky at the time so spring rates should be slose to what is needed on a GS.

Here's a shot of my bike as is. I tried to post the image but it wouldn't come up for some reason.

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SwBhHX8V!BTdkkNRfWQcl0QpSflVo5NKpsUKm5u*7mQFKrzPL osFvFe5lBe2pr*Ieg9qOA*n5R3lUKJ9GWi396utMwOitSht9iX vmcbTeS8ELr7zaYTeqQ/HPIM0063.JPG?dc=4675468666498952970

Comment

Working...
          X