No announcement yet.

bike oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With regard to getting it onto the the centerstand. No problem; guaranteed. Takes only a few seconds to set up. Go to the updated method at the end of the thread.

Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Centerstand woes

I have never learned a technique to centerstanding a bike. My last bike, a 750 Magna took a good hard step and it was up, but my new old GS 1100 has dared me to try that! I can hear it laugh and laugh as I fight and struggle with it :twisted: I'm going out now with my wife and son for spotters and learn a technique that has been mentioned 8) Thanks for all the help, this site is great!

Comment

There's another technique for putting your bike up on the center stand that works really well with my 850. While straddling the bike, lower the stand with your left foot and put your weight on the "pedal" part of the lever. Next, apply the front brake and compress your front forks. Then let the forks rebound while stepping on the stand lever and pulling back on the bars at the same time. Be sure to release the brake when you do this.

It takes some practice, but I find it easier than lifting the bike the regular way. Besides, you can impress your riding buddies by simply popping your bike up on the center stand before you dismount.

Comment

Haha, you are built like I am, 6' and 145# soaking wet, I have quite a time getting my bike on the centerstand by myself. You're right on the physics aspect of it, I found the same with my bike. It's a little 650 but weighs in at about 4x my weight, and like your bike, my ride's previous owner was vertically challenged, meaning the rear of the bike has to be picked up more to get on the stand, as my rear shock is on the lowest setting.

I've always rolled my rear tire onto a 2x4, then put the centerstand down as is explained here, and voila! Easier than adjusting the rear shock (plus I like the lower ride height and stiffer feel to the rear when she's underway). I would definitely put her on the stand and drain a couple quarts out before riding her any distance. I usually 'top off' the oil and go MAYBE a pint over-full, but 2 quarts is 2 much 8)

And with the age and toughness of these bikes, I'd never hesitate to dump normal car oil in her. Changing it at the proper intervals and using the proper weight is more important than what brand or type you're gonna use. Good luck and have fun!

Comment

Working...
          X