Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Synthetic ???

Hello,

I recently had a discussion with another 850 owner on the street, and he said that full synthetic (I run full synthetic 300V MOTUL 4-stroke oil) might not be the best for the bike, since they were not using synthetic back in 1980.

Could synthetic be the improper oil to put in this bike? (1980 GS 850 L)

Poot

Put in the synthetic if you can afford it. It holds up much better to the heat than Dino oil. If it meets that minimum AP ratings required by your bike, then you are golden.

I run Mobil 1 15w/50 in my FJ and it makes a world of difference.

Kenny

Comment

You never will be sorry idf you dont mind spending the money and dont believe the old wives tales about it. In a good engine it causes ZERO problems

Comment

This has probably been the subject of many threads, but...

As far as I can make out, if you change your oil regularly, then there's no need for synthetic. The real benefits of synthetic (apart from easier cold startups) only become evident after regular oil would have lost its useful properties(e.g. a couple of thousand clicks past regular oil change time).

Anyone...?

Comment

Click on Search at the top of the page and then plug in "synthetic oil". Mobil 1 15w-50 good. 100,000+ miles on my 850.
          Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

If your engine has been apart and has new seals & gaskets go ahead and use synthetic. I f ti has the old original gaskets stick with dino oil Or you will find that your motor will sprout leaks

Comment

had the headgasket changed since ive been on synthetic. Also changing my valve-cover gasket in next few days.

Comment

My short spiel on oils (as if anyone cares):

Synthetic oil was originated by General Electric in the 50's for gas turbine engines. These turbine engines see much higher temps then conventional internal combustion engines ever would.

Oil serves two main purposes. The first is obviously lubrication of engine internals. The second and equally important task is to act as a vehicle for sediment to be filtered out of the engine. Sediment is produced generally by the trace elements found in the air/fuel mix, and the remains of that combustion process.

Theoretically, sythetic oil should hold it's viscosity and lubrication properties longer than dyno oil. But don't make the mistake of thinking you can go longer between oil changes, becauese your engine still produces the same amount of soot no matter what oil you use.
                Currently bikeless
                '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

For info on synthetic and all oils for comparison - go to this article:

Sorry - type it in the browser line etc....

As far as SQDancerLynn's comments on leaking. YES - synthetic oil will tend to leak more. However, your bike will leak only if the seals are worn a fair amount. Try one oil change with synthetic and watch oil level and watch for leaks. If none or very little - go to synthetic.

I found that in my GS, engine temp went down 20 degrees F using synthetic. Watch out, if you use a viscosity that is too heavy though, that can lead to heat and power loss.

Surf the internet - I typed in "The oil FAQ" - to find some links. - Dieter

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Dieter
                    For info on synthetic and all oils for comparison - go to this article:

Sorry - type it in the browser line etc....

As far as SQDancerLynn's comments on leaking. YES - synthetic oil will tend to leak more. However, your bike will leak only if the seals are worn a fair amount. Try one oil change with synthetic and watch oil level and watch for leaks. If none or very little - go to synthetic.

I found that in my GS, engine temp went down 20 degrees F using synthetic. Watch out, if you use a viscosity that is too heavy though, that can lead to heat and power loss.

Surf the internet - I typed in "The oil FAQ" - to find some links. - Dieter
                    with my home made oil cooler, the gs1100e was running to cold in the winter time. it definitely has less friction than dyno. I had to put a controll valve in the oil line to controll the amount of cooling done bu the oil cooler.
                    I had an original bottom end and nevetr had leaks from the mobile one. I always had a leaky chain adjuster and one spot on the cases which i fixed with some wacky idea from Earl.

Comment

Just fill it up with whale blubber and let her rip
                      Syn oil is O.K. if its in a new motor, otherwise stick with dino oil.
                      sigpicIt wasnt me! I didnt do it! You cant prove anything!
                      82 1100EZ

Comment

Working...
                      X