GSXR swingarm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GSXR swingarm?

Just entertaining an idea here for a winter project... I have an '82 GS750E, mostly stock. I was thinking of installing pod filters to get rid of the airbox so I could R&R the battery to make room for a shock mount, then fab up some new swingarms mounts and beef up the frame some to fit a late-model GSXR aluminum rear end. I'm thinking the single-shock really-stiff swingarm would help handling, as would the larger rear tire. I'd probably look for a donor bike for the parts to make sure I'd have everything and could use the sprocket, tire, brakes etc. from the newer bike. Has anyone else tried anything like this? I am very confident in my ability to fabricate the necessary parts/adapters and I have access to the knowledge and experience of a custom chopper builder. Just don't know if the frame will take it or how much I can change the geometry. Seems to me I'd lose a lot of weight from the shocks and cout cut out some bracing from under the seat maybe.

It's a doable project, but I do not have the specifics

Comment

I would suggest a conversion to GSXR forks as a first step, the front end is the area of most improvement. most os the twist and wallow in GS's is in the front end not the rear so much.
      Dink

Comment

Genetic engineering of an extinct species

Have fun. I second the motion of replacing the front end first.

Comment

I agree,do the front end;as for adding the rear for weight reduction issues,I don't think you'd notice the weight savings,if any.The reason you add the new swing arm is for the larger footprint that comes with fitting a wider tire.
          Just my 2 cents.

Paul Mitchell.

Comment

I am building my second updated GS 1100,I have an 83 1100e dragbike with 2002 gsxr 600 frontend,wheels and 8"over twin shock swingarm.The next project is en 83 1100es,I have a 93 inverted frontend,but for the swingarm I want to use the 2002 gsxr single shock setup.I guess Im asking the same question as the original post,has anyone fabricated a shock mount in one of these frames? pics? thanks, Steve

Comment

What's the problems with the existing front ends? I've added a fork brace and it seems reasonably decent, but of course I haven't run a GSXR around a track to compare old versus new. Are the older front ends really that awful? (Just curious, not trying to start a debate....would like to learn what could be improved on mine)

Comment

BillC, the original forks on these bikes are a "damper rod" style, To the best of my knowledge all GSXR forks are "Cartridge" style the difference being, Damper rod is very basic, due to where any ports are on the sliding tubes, the flow through them is only a small amount of total flow, Cartidge style has a series of washers that are flexed by flow and speed of movement, but every drop of oil that moves goes through them. This means that a damper rod setup is very difficult to adjust, due to it's relatively small influence, where as a Cartridge fork any change is felt straight away it gives finer control and real adjustability, and of cause as time has marched on the forks are stiffer etc.
                Dink

Comment

Working...
                X