Damn eletrics!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damn eletrics!

Bike:modified GSX750 -81, original loom and eletrics.
    Engine:1150 EF

First it ran fine. Battery and charging OK. Then I stopped and tried to start again and nothing but "click,click". And when I put the lights on they are very dim and slowly fade away...Battery measures 12,5V. I managed to get it running by push starting but it ran about 2 minutes and then started to pop and stopped, then I waited about 10 minutes and it started again by pushing method and ran fine again about 1mile and stopped again. When it was running I measured only 10V on the battery so obviously no gharging. Where to start fixing??? I`m confused that it wont start even when I use cables only click from starter relay...so there must be something more to it than shot regulator or alternator??? Short cut somewhere....fuses are OK. I`m thankful of any tips where to start, I should also read old topics from eletrical problems I know... :roll:

First charge the battery, check the connections of the battery & reg/rect. & measure the battery voltage. next disconnect the stator and test it's output! for further tests see the stator pages

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
      for further tests see the stator pages

Comment

Stator Wiring - Excellent Article

I did my own stator because I got sick of them burning out (didn't know about the Honda mod)

Some improvements on the Stator Rewinding article:

Use magnet wire, gage as indicated, but request High Temp magnet wire, Heavy duty polythermalize, per J-W-1177. This stuff is used in Aerospace and is specifically how to get top grade high temp wire.) I paid 30 bucks for my roll - but I wanted it right.

Suggestion: Use J B Weld as the epoxy to coat the stator armature (or metal part) Coat it, then use a hot air heat gun to speed up curing and it helps the epoxy flow over the surface evenly.

Also, when done with the winding and attachment of the plug in pigtails, Coat the magnet wire windings on the stator with J B Weld to hold the wires in place. Squish the J B weld into the windings as much as possible. Cure again with the hot air heat gun. This gives you a durable assembly and J B Weld transmits heat well. The epoxy also prevents the wires from moving around and wearing of the wires enamel coating...which could lead to shorts. Mine worked until I sold the bike. - Dieter

Comment

The battery was shot...nothing more serious

Comment

Working...
          X