Will not start GS550T (1981)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will not start GS550T (1981)

I bought a 1981 Suzuki GS550T yesterday and i have a problem. If I ride it and turn it off it will not start until it cools down. I bought a new battery but it did not solve the problem. It does act like it wants to start but then makes a sound like the battery is going dead. Now the strange thing is if i get jumper cables and put them on my truck and my bike it starts right up. Like i said the battery is brand new. I am at a total loss. Someone told me it could be the coils and someone said it could be the alternator if it has one. I have no clue this is my first bike and I do not know anything about working on them.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

bmcentyre@insightbb.com

Need more info does it try to start/ does the starter turn the motor?? can you push start it?

Comment

Sounds like it could be your reg/rec or alternator. You might be running on straight battery and not charging. This would drain your battery so no instant re-starts. When the batt has time to charge up again, it'll give you the extra boost you need.
      There are some excellant posts in the technical area or even the old Q & A area that will guide you through basic troubleshooting steps. I would start with the alternator and then the reg/rectifier.
      Electrix...our sponsor...has an excellent troubleshooting step you should check out.

Keep us posted. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Sebby
        You might be running on straight battery and not charging. This would drain your battery so no instant re-starts. When the batt has time to charge up again, it'll give you the extra boost you need.k
        Very curious as to how a battery, in time, charges up again after it has been drained from running to provide the extra boost for starting :?

Comment

Dan;
          I've read this in a couple of different articles...not very sure of the true technical aspects..but here it goes anyway.
          When the battery is discharged, it is never fully out of power. The acid bath is usually still good enough, given a no-load rest period, the acid would work on the plates...doing their thing so to speak...getting the plates the ions they need. For sure it is a weak battery, but given a "cooling off" period, it could have just enough power to pop the engine.

Or something like that...it's been a while since I read this.

Any electro pros got any feedback on this??

Comment

Me too Dan, since in the past, I have had a severe problem with overcharged batteries that have been sitting and unused for long periods. I once went on vacation for two weeks and came back to find my car had 220 volts in the battery. Being a quick thinker, I deftly popped off the caps and poured 208 volts out.

Earl

[quote="moto_dan"

Very curious as to how a battery, in time, charges up again after it has been drained from running to provide the extra boost for starting :?[/quote]
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Comment

This could be a lot of things. How long after turning it off did you wait before trying to start it the first time? Are we talking seconds, or do you turn it off for a minute to talk to your buds and then notice it won't start. When you did try and start it, did you check the basics (fuel, spark and compression)? I assume the crank is actually rotating when you try and start it. When it does run, does it make good power?

Comment

I tried to start it right after i turned it off. Yesterday i tried to jump it again and it ran for a few minutes (idled) and then it shut off. When the bike is running it runs great no power loss at all

Comment

Based on the engine making good power, forget the fuel and compression. I am thinking you need to check the spark right after you shut it down and repost.

Comment

Okay i am convinced that it is the voltage regulator/rectifier, but i called the local bike shop and they want 162.99 for a new one. Any suggestions on where I can get one alot cheaper?

Comment

Buy a new Electrex. Mine cost $102 and it comes with a guarantee. They are sumper simple to install. the electrex is larger than the stock RR. I found I had plenty of space behind the right side cover for mount the electrex.

earl

Originally posted by bmcentyre
                        Okay i am convinced that it is the voltage regulator/rectifier, but i called the local bike shop and they want 162.99 for a new one. Any suggestions on where I can get one alot cheaper?

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I am new to owning a motorcycle so where do i buy that and how do i know its the right voltage.

Comment

There is a link to Electrex on the GS homepage. I've copied the URL to the regulator/rectifier applications page from their site, it..
                            Friendly and helpful customer support that goes above and beyond. We help you get the perfect domain name.

Just scan down the list until you find your bike listed.

Earl

Originally posted by bmcentyre
                            I am new to owning a motorcycle so where do i buy that and how do i know its the right voltage.

Comment

Whoa Mule!

Before I handed over $100, I'd do more investigating!!! Not saying anybodys wrong with their diagnosis, but there are ways to check these things out with a simple multimeter. I think on Electrex's site they have a flowchart to pinpoint problems. Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X