Side Stand Exhaust Conflict on 82 1100 GL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Side Stand Exhaust Conflict on 82 1100 GL

I have an 82 GS 1100 GL that at some point in its history a previous owner put exhaust from a GS 550 of unknown year or model on the 1100. The point where the pipes from cylinder 1 and 2 are combined is right over the place on the frame where the side stand mounts. Can someone look at their 1100 GL and tell me where the exhaust combining point should take place? I am going to have to do some welding on the exhaust and if I can get an idea of the correct location of this junction it would be great. I am tired of having to find that nice level hard surface everywhere I go to put the bike on the center stand. At some point I would like to get back to the correct exhaust on this bike.

Thanks,
    Gary
    82 GS 1100 GL

Anyone able to help me out here?

Comment

I wish I would have read this post this morning - just spent most of the day in Denton and points north (Motorcycle shopping ... 8O ). I don't own the 1100GL but I do own both 1000 shafties the G and the GL ... I'll pull a measurement in a little bit and let you know - going to dinner first!! 8)

Comment

exhaust.

Just went through this myself. Found a nice exhaust system on E-bay and when I got them, the replacement 1981 stock exhaust could not be used on my 1982 GS1100G. The 1981 stock exhaust runns closer together as the headers come down under the frame and will not clear the side stand. I realy couldn't see a good modification to make them fit. I did have the right side bolted on. The left side would have to be split to give @ 1" more clearence between the two left headerpipes and the junction where they go together again would have to be moved back @ 2 and 1/2" My orig. exhaust is still useable so I put it back on. Jim

Comment

Thanks to any kind of help you guys can provide, I have been looking at the way the 1-2 and 3-4 combine and think i have a plan but would like to hear from someone how the correct exhaust is routed.

------------
          Gary S.
          82 GS 1100 GL

Comment

Working...
          X