Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

need help, giving it gas stalls it out????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need help, giving it gas stalls it out????

I am soooo dang close.. 82 GS 750tz I have done all the back breaking labor and cosmetics. But damn if it ain't working. When I got this bike it did not have any air filter assembly so through all the restoring I got one. I finally started it yesterday and here is were I am. The carbs were cleaned but no adjusting bike last ran 3 months ago. Upon starting with a little starter fluid it idles high 4000 to 5000 rpm. I try to put the filter back on and it red lines take it off and it goes down to 4000 put my hand over the opening to the airbox back to 14 grand. Leave the filter off try to ride around the block and as soon as I twist the throttle slightly it boggs down doesn't really stalls just nothing there, every time the throttle is twisted. Any direction is appreciated I am not a moron but am really more of a cosmetics and design kind of guy (so the bike looks phenomenal but doesn't actually run) thanks

Try turning back the idle screw. The carbs idle may have been set high to allow it to run with out the air filter. When the filter is put back on it redlines. The reason is that without the filter the mixture is running real lean, when you crack the throttle it leans it out more, and dies. When you put the filter back on, it corrects the mixture and revs up.

Comment

I tried the idle screw and it didn't change anything. I actually brought it back as far as it would go and it only lowered the idle to between 3000 and 4000 and now periodically it will rev itself to about 6000 as soon as anything blocks the opening on the back of the airbox it sucks serious air and nails it to 14000 rpms. I am actually thinking now might not be a bad time to put on velocity stacks and try yo get it to run somehow (kidding). Any other ideas. I have tried searches but can't find the right topics.

Comment

It now actually stalls completely when I give it some throttle/gas.

Comment

Give this a try.

Adjust your throttle valves so that they just barely open by using the synch adjusters, then if you start it and it won't idle turn the adjuster screw to get it higher.

Comment

May want to check your throttle cable adjustment too, it may not be letting your throttle close completely.

Comment

Working...
            X