Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

750ED tranny questions...

Back at it again, it seems.....

I changed my clutch friction plates and springs in order to stop the high RPM slippage when shifting, and in hopes to stop the annoying low idle clutch rattle that's been happening since I bought the bike 2 years ago.

High RPM slip - gone. But the rattle's still there. I just need to know what may cause this so I know where to start. I've heard it could be the rivets in the clutch basket, but there aren't any rivets. It only happens between 10-13K RPMs, and goes away when I pull in the clutch.

On another note, it seems that second gear is slipping. This was one of the reasons I wanted to change my clutch in the first place, but it didn't get any better after doing so. If I get on the throttle hard in second gear, it feels like the clutch slips briefly, grabs, slips again, grabs, etc. - but only if I'm trying to accelerate pretty hard.

There is no harshness, clanking, or metal contact when this happens - it simply feels like the clutch is slipping for about 1/2 a second at a time....

Thanks for any suggestions,

-Q!

are you sure it isn't the tire slipping?

Comment

I wish!!!

It only slips in second, and will do it regardless of what RPM's the engine is spinning at, but only under hard throttle. In other words, if I shift into second at 15 miles an hour and whack the throttle open, it'll still do it at such low RPM's as 3 grand. Even when new this bike didn't make enough torque to break the rear tire loose down low.

Best boy-racer motorcycle sound impersonation when accelerating in second gear: Waaaaah, wup waaaaaah, wup waaaaah, wup waaaaa, etc. - but no clunking or harshness otherwise indicating that something's wrong with the transmission.

I thought it was a bad clutch, but it's doing it with the new clutch, too. I just don't know enough about transmissions to troubleshoot it myself...

-Q!

Comment

The engagement dogs on 2th gear are worn, causing it to slip in and out of gear Requires splitting the cases for repair

Comment

What brand and weight of oil are you using? - Serious question here -

Comment

Motul 10/40.

Did it with Castrol GTX 20/50 and 10/40, as well.

Both with the old and new clutch.

Splitting the cases doesn't scare me - but shouldn't it be harsh or otherwise noticeable if the gear were slipping...?

-Q!

Comment

No.
              This is exactly what SqDancerLynn have written and needs affected wheels changed or undercutt.

Adam M.

Comment

It will do exactly what you are discribing. The previous owner probably did alot of shifting without using the clutch. There are two bolt up in the oil filter recess if you split the cases. If you are careful you should be able to turn the engine upside down and remove the lower case Change 2th and the gear that it mates with 5th I think. Bearings would be a good thing to replace. Plus anything else that needs it after you get it appart

Comment

Thanks.

Looks like I'll be rolling up my sleeves....

-Q!

Comment

Working...
                  X