Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crankcase full of fuel

I have a 1983 GS 750 ES.

Number 1 cylinder carburater float was stuck open. The fuel leaked by the piston rings and filled the crankcase with fuel. I think I caught it right away. I pulled the fuel tank off, removed the carbs, and drained the crankcase.

My question is would this have done any irrepairable damage? Once the carbs is fixed, and the oil is replaced what other things should I look for?

I did a compression test it is #4 150, #3 150, #2 135, #1 160. This was a dry test. I did a wet test on #2 and it jumped from 135 to 210. Will the difference between #2 and the rest of the cylinders have much affect on performance? Engine had 16,000 kms on it.

Any help with this would be appreciated. I am going to tear the bike down this winter and clean it up.

Thanks
    chris 8)

Check the petcock.

Comment

Yeah, check the petcock, other then that you should be ok.

Comment

Not to hijack your thread.....but my bike is doing the same thing....1981 Suzuki GS750L. I checked the petcock today and it does not leak. It has to be one of the carbs leaking the gas into the motor.
        My short term solution is to shut off the petcock and run the bike until it kills d/t fuel starvation. Then there is nothing in the lines or bowls to drain into the motor.
        I have only had the bike for a few weeks - makes me wonder how long it has been doing this...
        I changed the oil and it smelled like pure gasoline.....Was like having the bike running in solvent....
        The bike still doesn't smoke or burn oil....I think that is a testament to how overbuilt these GS motors are....

Comment

Originally posted by Ndebt
          Not to hijack your thread.....but my bike is doing the same thing....1981 Suzuki GS750L. I checked the petcock today and it does not leak. It has to be one of the carbs leaking the gas into the motor. ...
          Also check the vacuum line for leakage. No gas should be in that line, even under suction. The diaphram often tears on these bikes, allowing gas to leak into the intake runner (then cylinder, then crankcase) via that vacuum line.

Comment

Check to see if the overflow/drain lines are kinked or plugged. Seems like the gas should have gone thru there rather than into the motor...

Comment

Originally posted by KLACKO
              Check to see if the overflow/drain lines are kinked or plugged. Seems like the gas should have gone thru there rather than into the motor...
              These carbs only have vent lines, not overflow lines. The overflow goes into the engine, or into the airbox/pods, depending on the angle the bikes at.

Comment

If the carburetors have a vacuum actuated petcock and the bike was parked when the leaking occured, something seems wrong with the petcock. It was almost as if you left it in prime. If you have a gravity petcock, turn the thing to OFF by all means. The carburetors float needle seats should be cleaned with a q-tip and you should also put in some new float needles while you have the carbs off but even properly working float assemblies will leak if subjected to gas flowing to the carbs overnight or when parked for a long while.

As far as the gas in the engine, it likely did no harm if you changed the oil It washed the oil from the cylinder walls and the first start will be a bit dry but that won't hurt if the bike starts right up and the oil pump is working properly which it VERY likely is.

Comment

Working...
                X