GS750L CARB VACUUM LINES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750L CARB VACUUM LINES

I recently acquired a 1981 GS750L. The previous owner(s) had practiced some redneck engineering instead of spending a little money and fixing the bike right. For example, when the stock starter solenoid went bad, he used a solenoid off a diesel truck and started it by crossing a screwdriver over two posts. For 7.99, off ebay, I bought a used solenoid and can now use the starter switch on the handlebars....
    Anyway, I pulled off the gas tank today to inspect some wiring (I have found a lot of bad wiring on the bike).
    On the number two carb (counting the carbs as you are sitting on the bike 1234), the vacuum line is approx 3 inches long and the guy has shoved a small twig into the line as to plug it. What was/is that supposed to be attached to?
    If anyone has information on how each carb should appear, correct lines, vacuums, etc., please advise.
    Also, you'll have to explain it to me like I am an amateur....
    Also Also, if you can read my other posts and advise on the bike cutting out at 5000 rpms....request info on servicing points/condensor.....[/img]

There should be 2 lines from the carbs to the petcock. The small one you are talking about is a vacum line that keeps the petcock open, only when the engine is running. The petcock closes automatically when the engine is turned off

Comment

Okay....well thanks to a previous owner...again...more redneck engineering vs. fixing it right.
      Guy put a petcock on behind the factory petcock that is attached to the tank. There is not a vacuum line attached to the factory petchock. Apparently the factory petcock no longer stopped gas so he put a second on that does work.
      What are the ill effects of plugging that vacuum line with a twig????

Comment

I'm assuming that the second petcock now in use is not a stock Suzuki petcock. If not, than it probably is not a vaccum actuated petcock. The vent line from the carbs should therefore be fully plugged, airtight, probably better to replace the twig with a screw and some epoxy.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

What kind of twig?

Comment

Hahaha!

Yeah, I mean, if it's sappy wood it might leak and cause some buildup in the carbs.

If it's balsa, it could very easily catch on fire.

I think a splinter from a stout oak would be best. Or a screw with silicone sealer, it's your call.

Comment

I am assuming the twig is Japanese maple since it appears to be metric LOL.

Comment

Personally I use oak twigs or other hardwood twigs but in a pinch I will use pine twigs. After all the repairs I've made to my bike over the years I figure it's now more than 60 percent twig.

Comment

golf tees are way better than twigs......

Comment

Working...
                  X